Recipe Vegetarian Welsh Rarebit

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:22 PM
Welsh Rarebit is totally delicious and there are many variations of this classic ‘savoury’. But, to my mind, it has to feature strong cheddar, strong mustard and strong beer. Here, I’ve made it vegetarian by substituting soy sauce for Worcestershire sauce (which is made with anchovies). The caraway seeds add an aromatic citrus and anise flavour which is perfect with the strong cheese.

fullsizeoutput_4c70.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2)
25g flour
25g butter
125g strong beer
125g strong cheddar grated
2 tsp English mustard powder
1 tbsp light soy sauce plus more to sprinkle
Fresh thyme or oregano
Caraway seeds
2 slices of bread (of your choice)

Method
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Mix in the mustard and soy sauce to form a thick paste.
  2. Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheese mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned.
  3. Serve with a little more soy sauce drizzled over and a scatter of caraway seeds and fresh thyme or oregano leaves.
fullsizeoutput_4cb9.jpeg

Last edited:
Welsh Rarebit is totally delicious and there are many variations of this classic ‘savoury’. But, to my mind, it has to feature strong cheddar, strong mustard and strong beer. Here, I’ve made it vegetarian by substituting soy sauce for Worcestershire sauce (which is made with anchovies). The caraway seeds add an aromatic citrus and anise flavour which is perfect with the strong cheese.

View attachment 29346

Ingredients (serves 2)
25g flour
25g butter
125g strong beer
125g strong cheddar grated
2 tsp English mustard powder
1 tbsp light soy sauce plus more to sprinkle
Fresh thyme or oregano
Caraway seeds
2 slices of bread (of your choice)

Method
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. Mix in the mustard and soy sauce to form a thick paste.
  2. Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheese mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned.
  3. Serve with a little more soy sauce drizzled over and a scatter of caraway seeds and fresh thyme or oregano leaves.
View attachment 29349
This looks fabulous but I am trying to wrap my head around the recipe.(cheese, mustard and beer on a slice of toasted bread, correct? :cook::drink::toast:)

This looks fabulous but I am trying to wrap my head around the recipe.(cheese, mustard and beer on a slice of toasted bread, correct? :cook::drink::toast:)

Yes - Welsh Rarebit is an absolute classic British recipe. We tend to do 'things on toast' in the UK - which I've learned is not such a thing in the US. Welsh Rarebit goes back over a century. If you Google search you will see. I just did a bit of a twist on it.

See here for a rundown: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/oct/27/how-to-cook-perfect-welsh-rarebit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom