Recipe Vegistan based Falafel

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:48 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is the recipe I will be using for my falafel 2nd round attempt. I liked the basic original recipe but it didn't have enough punch for my husband and my tastes, so I have adapted it.
I've yet to find an online version of the Vegistan recipe so can't credit it.

Ingredients
150g dried chickpeas (roughly 1.5 cups)
150g dried fava beans (ideally - that is... I have used lima/white beans successfully or more chickpeas)
1/2-1 bunch fresh coriander
1/2-1 bunch fresh parsley (flat leaved works best)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chilli
1 fresh green chilli (deseeded)
8-10 large cloves of garlic
1 large onion
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
Oil for frying

Method
  1. Assuming you have remembered to soak your dried pulses overnight :)whistling:), drain and wash them well. If using fava beans with skins (or lima beans), de-skin as many as you can, then drain everything and dry them using a T-towel or two. The drier the better in my experience
  2. Next pretty much put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth and you'll end up with a moist green paste which you are going to shape into balls 3cm in diameter using wet hands (to stop it sticking to you!)
  3. Now heat your oil in a suitable pan, olive oil is traditionally used but you need it really hot whatever oil you choose to use and fry them until golden brown, rolling them around. I find it easier to flatten the disks slightly into mini burger style falafel for easier frying at home, not having a deep fryer.
  4. As you cook them in batches, drain and serve hot.
I'll add some better photos when I have some...

IMG_9440.JPG IMG_9446.JPG

Last edited:
This is the recipe I will be using for my falafel 2nd round attempt. I liked the basic original recipe but it didn't have enough punch for my husband and my tastes, so I have adapted it.

Ingredients
150g dried chickpeas (roughly 1.5 cups)
150g dried fava beans (ideally - that is... I have used lima/white beans successfully or more chickpeas)
1/2-1 bunch fresh coriander
1/2-1 bunch fresh parsley (flat leaved works best)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chilli
1 fresh green chilli (deseeded)
8-10 large cloves of garlic
1 large onion
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
Oil for frying

Method
  1. Assuming you have remembered to soak your dried pulses overnight :)whistling:), drain and wash them well. If using fava beans with skins (or lima beans), de-skin as many as you can, then drain everything and dry them using a T-towel or two. The drier the better in my experience
  2. Next pretty much put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth and you'll end up with a moist green paste which you are going to shape into balls 3cm in diameter using wet hands (to stop it sticking to you!)
  3. Now heat your oil in a suitable pan, olive oil is traditionally used but you need it really hot whatever oil you choose to use and fry them until golden brown, rolling them around. I find it easier to flatten the disks slightly into mini burger style falafel for easier frying at home, not having a deep fryer.
  4. As you cook them in batches, drain and serve hot.
I'll add some better photos when I have some...

View attachment 8982 View attachment 8983

@SatNavSaysStraightOn

Fantastic recipe and have noted down .. Shall give it a try ..

Interesting that you combine the 2 different beans or pulses ..

Have a lovely day and all my best ..

Back
Top Bottom