Recipe Vietnamese Summer Rolls

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
7:55 AM
I was not sure which category to put these in but as they always include rice wrappers I thought here might work.

Vietnamese summer rolls are deliciously refreshing and packed with flavour and texture. Sort-of easy to make, but the rice wrappers are a bit fiddly to get the hang of. We had them at a restaurant and so I researched the recipe here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...7/how-to-make-perfect-vietnamese-summer-rolls

I made them vegetarian this time buy occasionally add prawns.

Ingredients
Lettuce
Mint
Thai basil
Ginger
Thread rice noodles (soaked in hot water then drained and cooled)
Rice wrappers
A load of veg (I used the following):
Carrot
Spring onion
Cucumber
Red/yellow pepper
Mooli (makes a nice crunch)

Method
Separate lettuce leaves and take out the hard stalk.
Pull off mint and basil leaves from stem and lay on each lettuce leaf.
Slice the vegetables and ginger thinly and a length so they can be fully wrapped in the rice. wrappers (I used small wrappers this time so the veg were chopped to about 4cm).
Put a small bit of everything (or nearly everything) into a lettuce leaf (don't overfill).
Dip rice wrapper in warm water a couple of times until the rice wrapper is soft.
Put rice wrapper on a chopping board and put the filled lettuce leaf about 1/3 way down.
Fold over the top to cover the veg and then fold in the sides and roll.

Serve with dips. (I'll type up the ones I have made).

20171002_121835.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 'Chinese' supermarket near us that sells anything from Chinese, to Vietnamese, to Japanese, etc. They mainly supply restaurants in the area so I often have to buy items in bulk (but cheap). Apparently Waitrose sell them.

We have a 'Chinese' supermarket near us that sells anything from Chinese, to Vietnamese, to Japanese, etc. They mainly supply restaurants in the area so I often have to buy items in bulk (but cheap). Apparently Waitrose sell them.
Ah! Waitrose to the rescue. I can't wait to get some and experiment.

@Herbie

Very nice .. I would add prawns to mine ..

One wintery day when I am ambitious I shall prepare ..

Thanks for posting ..

I like Asian food and have seen these made on food programmes. I've never attempted them myself but you have inspired me to try @Herbie.

Back
Top Bottom