Viking Toast Weekend

The Velvet Curtain

Forum GOD!
Local time
1:33 PM
Leicester: Where Britain keeps its crisps
The socials have a thing at the moment for a cheese and onion on toast recipe from the latest Pinch of Nom cookbook; Viking Toast. It's very simple and quick, I have got the ingredients together and will be giving it a go this weekend. Anyone else fancy trying it?

A quick google will find the recipe repeated widely, along with discussion on the topic. The version I will be doing is here:
Viking Toast recipe: How to make the tasty Pinch of Nom dish everyone’s raving about

My results to follow, anyone joining me?

Last edited:
The socials have a thing at the moment for a cheese and onion on toast recipe from the latest Pinch of Nom cookbook; Viking Toast. It's very simple and quick, I have got the ingredients together and will be giving it a go this weekend. Anyone else fancy trying it?

A quick google will find the recipe repeated widely, along with discussion on the topic. The version I will be doing is here:
Viking Toast recipe: How to make the tasty Pinch of Nom dish everyone’s raving about

My results to follow, anyone joining me?
I'll pass, thanks.

We used to have a wonderful recipe for something similar though, it started with a layer of tomato concentrate/paste, then a layer of mushroom paste and finally a decent cheese like Wexford cheddar, Jarlsberg, Comté or Emmental cheese, all of a slice of toast, toasted on one side only then grilled until the cheese started to brown. It was imperative that the cheese covered the crust so they didn't burn.

Sounds fine but I've been making things like this for years. Example with onion, chilli and thyme:

Cheese on toast with onions.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds fine but I've been making things like this for years. Example with onion, chilli and thyme:
That’s the problem with every younger generation - they think they invented/discovered everything (mine included).

I remember watching a video not long ago of a couple from a younger generation positively giddy over a “new” device they’d discovered and couldn’t wait to tell everyone about…a manual hand-crank food mill. :laugh: :rolleyes:

That’s the problem with every younger generation - they think they invented/discovered everything (mine included).

I remember watching a video not long ago of a couple from a younger generation positively giddy over a “new” device they’d discovered and couldn’t wait to tell everyone about…a manual hand-crank food mill. :laugh: :rolleyes:
Don't knock it, my collection of 70s/80s vinyl LPs have shot up in value :rolleyes:

Here we go.

In the bowl.

20230121_164939.jpg

On the plate.

20230121_165226.jpg

Verdict:
Tasty, however it wasn't that much of a step up from simple cheese on toast to make it worth the extra effort, and it falls well short of a proper Welsh Rarebit. So, if I want a snack I will stick to cheese on toast, and if I want to get out a pan and mixing bowl then I'll do a proper rarebit.
I am tempted to top steamed cauliflower with the mix and stick it under the grill for a side dish, that would work.

Tasty, however it wasn't that much of a step up from simple cheese on toast to make it worth the extra effort, and it falls well short of a proper Welsh Rarebit. So, if I want a snack I will stick to cheese on toast, and if I want to get out a pan and mixing bowl then I'll do a proper rarebit.
That sounds like like pretty good advice to me!

My Baby Sister has two ddaughters. Sis has always used a toaster oven.. When her girls were pre tweens she and BIL pruchased an RV. Sis bought a six slice pop up toaster. The girls went nuts. They toasted an entire loaf of bread amazed at this really cool, new invention that popped the toast slices up automatically. Love those girls. They are now women in their 30's with children. We still laugh about their enthusiasum for a pop up toaster.

Back
Top Bottom