Ingredients

• Vegetable oil
  • 2 slices Virginia ham
  • 2 heaped teaspoons crumbly cheese
  • 2 duck eggs
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Salt and black pepper
Method

In two recesses of a muffin tin form a cup with the sliced ham.

Crumble the cheese into the bottom of the cup.

Cook in an oven at 200°C until the cheese melts.

Allow to cool a little then break a duck egg into each cup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a couple of dashes of soy sauce.

Return to the oven and cook until the white of the egg solidifies.

Virginia Ham Egg Cups

Ingredients

• Vegetable oil
  • 2 slices Virginia ham
  • 2 heaped teaspoons crumbly cheese
  • 2 duck eggs
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Salt and black pepper
Method

In two recesses of a muffin tin form a cup with the sliced ham.

Crumble the cheese into the bottom of the cup.

Cook in an oven at 200°C until the cheese melts.

Allow to cool a little then break a duck egg into each cup. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a couple of dashes of soy sauce.

Return to the oven and cook until the white of the egg solidifies.

If its an entry into the current challenge you need to add the tag...

Its difficult to get eggs right in the oven.
That’s so true, and no recipe ever acknowledges that. I had a complex for years over baking eggs because the recipe would give an amount of time and never warn about how, in 15 seconds, they can go from perfect to hard-cooked.

That’s so true, and no recipe ever acknowledges that. I had a complex for years over baking eggs because the recipe would give an amount of time and never warn about how, in 15 seconds, they can go from perfect to hard-cooked.

I seriously overcooked the eggs the first time I made Shakshouka. I no longer use the oven for that. Just the stovetop and a glass lid.

CD

I seriously overcooked the eggs the first time I made Shakshouka. I no longer use the oven for that. Just the stovetop and a glass lid.

CD
I think the first time I did that, I was amazed at how an egg could look soft-cooked, but be hard-cooked all the way through. :laugh:

I think the first time I did that, I was amazed at how an egg could look soft-cooked, but be hard-cooked all the way through. :laugh:

Yup. The exact same thing happened to me. The eggs looked perfect, but the yolks were hard and dry.

CD

I think he mentioned that he wasn't happy with how the eggs turned out.

CD

There was a basic problem from the start. The muffin/bun tins weren't big enough for the ingredients. Chicken eggs would have been better but I didn't have any. To add to that, one of the yolks broke when I was decanting it into the ham cup and then the eggs became overcooked. I used the halogen oven for the two stages (melting the cheese and solidifying the egg white) so I could keep mt eye on them during the processes but I failed.

Next time I shall use ramekins which are larger and should work better. I may even try cooking the eggs in two stages, first the white then add the yolk later. I can see me using a lot of eggs and ham before I get this right.

Back
Top Bottom