Want lighter more airy crumb - Problem with second Proof

ewspears

Local time
5:42 AM
Hi!

This is my first Post and I'm hoping I can find some help here.

I have been making no-knead breads using bread flour have also used bread flour with 25% whole wheat & 10% Rye. I have used quick acting, instant, & sourdough on different loaves. I have used the 1/4 to 1/2 tsp yeast with cool water & 8-24hr, 72deg 1st proofing as well as the 1 1/4 to 2 tsp yeast with warm water & 1 to 3 hr, 85deg 1st proofing. Everything through this step seems OK, My dough has lots of bubbles and has more than doubled in volume

I degas, fold, & stretch the dough and place in a parchment lined container of appropriate size and shape for my 5qt dutch oven or my superstone bread baker. I give it a second proofing hoping it will double in size again; but it never does! All I ever get with the 2nd proofing is a 10 to 60% increase in volume. I have varied time and temperature to no avail. The better ones are good and edible but not as light and airy as I would like.

Have wondered about mixing some beer or vinegar with the water. Also wonder about adding baking powder.

Would really appreciate any help! Thank You for any Response!

Welcome to CookingBites ewspears. If you have a moment please hop over to New to CookingBites? and introduce yourself.

I assume your whole post is referring to no-knead bread? I have limited experience with this technique although I do make bread quite a lot. My thought is that if the dough has lots of bubbles and has doubled then why de-gas it and stretch it? Why not cook it as it is?

The recipe I use is from America's Test Kitchen and is called "Almost No-Knead Bread." It uses both vinegar and beer.

After the initial overnight rise, it calls for a small amount of kneading (10 to 15 times, so maybe a minute's worth) and then doing the second rise until doubled in size, about two hours. This second proofing is done inside a 10-inch skillet, which I think helps give the bread volume.

After that, it goes into a preheated Dutch oven, and I think that also helps in the oven spring, to give it more lift.

Using this recipe/method, I've made probably 20-30 loaves over the last several years, and it's always worked. I've never had an issue with the doubling, but I'm also not very picky about doubling. After about 70%, I probably can't tell whether it's doubled or not. Doubling is just a rough guide. I poke it and if it stays poked and looks a good bit larger, into the oven it goes.

do you have any knowledge in this matter please?

Not really - I tried making 'no-knead bread' a very long time ago - 'Doris Grant's no-knead bread' ? - but I wasn't impressed with it.

As a general comment about weak or failed second provings, I'd think about changing the brand of yeast - find one that works consistently and stick with it. The dough needs warmth for the second proving - I usually warm the baking tray first. If the dough rose acceptably for the first proving then put it back in the same place for the second one.

I came across the phrase 'watch the dough, not the clock' on a sister forum - maybe that's relevant here? Give the dough as long as it needs, rather than going strictly by the clock. I also agree with TastyReuben 's comment above - doubling is only a rough guide.

Back
Top Bottom