Recipe War and Peace Pudding

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
11:10 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is apparently a war time pudding, found on here (http://www.recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime/?page_id=204) I find old recipes fascinating and love reading them, so have left it as it is.

War-and-Peace Pudding
This pudding was made in Canada during the last war, and since then many people have never bothered with a rich Christmas pudding.

Mix together 1 cupful of flour, 1 cupful of breadcrumbs, half a cupful of suet, half a cupful of mixed dried fruit, and, if you like, a teaspoonful of mixed sweet spice. Then add a cupful of grated raw potato, a cupful of grated raw carrot and finally a level teaspoonful of bicarbonate of soda dissolved in two tablespoonsful of hot water. Mix all together, turn into a well-greased pudding bowl. The bowl should not be more than two-thirds full. Boil or steam for at least 2 hours.

If I make it, I'll add a photo, but it actually sounds quite interesting and I can see myself trying it at some point (with the odd substitution)

classic33

Guru
Local time
12:10 PM
Its not that bad, to be honest.

It's one of those that can't go wrong, if original.

winterybella

Veteran
Local time
8:10 AM
I am just struck by the name. It sounds like the kind of thing I would like to present to someone I've been in a fight with as a sort of 'peace' offering. Maybe I should research and see if there is anything like a Peace cake or Peace Pudding. The reading also offers quite a bit of information for our carrot library and by extension carrot Challenge Competition.

L_B

Über Member
Local time
I remember my mom making this when I was a kid. I never ate it though. I wouldn't even try it back then but I know my mom and dad really enjoyed it. I don't ever recall her making it when I was older though. It has so many different ingredients. I would watch her make it and ask lots of questions but when it came time to eat it, I was nowhere to be found. lol

kgord

Über Member
Local time
7:10 AM
It sounds interesting. I have a cookbook here that has many old fashioned recipies including a few cakes that are made without butter since butter was rationed during World War II. To be honest, I haven't tried, it but it looks like it would be a fair substitute. I also have made a Civil War Mac and Cheese, which takes parmesan cheese which was what was available during the Civil War. That dish is really quite good.

classic33

Guru
Local time
https://worldwarzoogardener1939.wor...e-christmas-pudding-rationing-recipe-ww1-ww2/
War And Peace.jpg

Top Bottom