Recipe "Wasabi" Peas (nearly)

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
4:57 PM
Actually these were not roasted with Wasabi powder but with English mustard powder. We're out of Wasabi powder.

Ingredients

• 1½ tblsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Pureed garlic
  • ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp Paprika
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tblsp English mustard powder
  • 250 gm Frozen peas, defrosted, drained and dried in the sun
wasabi 1 s.jpg

wasabi 2 s.jpg

wasabi 3 s.jpg

Method

Mix all the ingredients except for the peas in a small bowl and then add the peas. Mix carefully but ensure the peas are well coated.

Spread the coated peas on aluminium foil and bake in the oven at 200 degC until brown. I baked mine in the halogen oven for 30 minutes turning them once.

wasabi 4 s.jpg

wasabi 5 s.jpg

Overall, I wasn't impressed.

What was wrong with them? Was it a problem with the recipe, or don't you like wasabi peas anyway?

They always remind me of my old Labrador, who adored them. One for her, one for me, sitting in the yard with a packet and a beer. She would jump through amazing contortions to catch them. Happy days.

I think I would of prepared stove top instead of in the oven .. I would of also used a bit of vegetable broth from the boiling of the peas .. And a tiny square of butter ..

And drying the peas is odd to me ..

I would of had them just blanched to tender and then sauté in a skillet with combo Evoo and butter, with some pea broth and the spices you have listed but Wasabe !!! And less mustard powder .. And perhaps 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and 1 small onion minced ..

Were the peas too dry or obviously they had a heavy mustard profile .. Not Wasabi profile ..

Actually these were not roasted with Wasabi powder but with English mustard powder. We're out of Wasabi powder.

Ingredients

• 1½ tblsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Pureed garlic
  • ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tsp Paprika
  • ½ tsp Salt
  • ½ tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tblsp English mustard powder
  • 250 gm Frozen peas, defrosted, drained and dried in the sun
View attachment 8968

View attachment 8969

View attachment 8971

Method

Mix all the ingredients except for the peas in a small bowl and then add the peas. Mix carefully but ensure the peas are well coated.

Spread the coated peas on aluminium foil and bake in the oven at 200 degC until brown. I baked mine in the halogen oven for 30 minutes turning them once.

View attachment 8970

View attachment 8972

Overall, I wasn't impressed.
It's too bad you had a bad eating experience because your photo makes the dish look so delicious.

They were somewhat tasteless.

@Yorky

As mentioned perhaps some minced onion and of course the Wasabi .. I also would of as previously mentioned done stove top ..

Try the recipe again and I am sure you shall do a grand job .. Some fresh minced Mint leaf could enhance too ..

Have a nice day ..

Can you get horseradish out there? That may give a more authentic taste.

We can get "cream style" horseradish in a jar. In fact, I have some (great on corned beef sarnies). I have not seen the root available anywhere

We can also get wasabi powder it's just that I didn't have any at the time. We have used it for a dip for those imitation crab sticks (kamaboko)..

Back
Top Bottom