Wasabi?

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
8:09 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
salsa-wasabi.jpg

Who here is a fan of wasabi? If you are a sushi/sashimi lover it's pretty likely that you're familiar with the bright green paste!

I made the mistake the first time I tried wasabi of using FAR too much - needless to say I'm not the biggest fan of it these days!

My father in law would buy a kilo of fresh tuna that he would slice and eat with his beer. There was that green thing that looked like mustard where he dipped the tuna. When he offered me one time, I sampled it and never did taste it again, hahahaaa. That wasabi seemed to have burned my mouth. I am not fit for that kind of spicy food, so hot but somewhat flavorful especially with the tuna.

Wasabi crushed new potatoes or mash are great!
Or with nori rice sushi rolls and fresh peeled prawns

I love wasabi, but in small doses. It tastes really good with just about any vegetables and gives a great bite. I was first introduced to the stuff a few years ago at an Asian restaurant. The waitress had insisted that I had it with one of my dishes.

Some wasabi are not authentic because they use other ingredients as substitute for the root then color it green to imitate the original. I am searching for a recipe to make my own wasabi do you guys have one?

I love it. Wasabi coated roasted peas are wonderful. We always have wasabi paste around as well and often add wasabi into mashed potatoes. We use it the same way we would wholegrain mustard.

Ooooh, I never thought to give it a try in mashed potatoes. I feel like that might be a "safe" way for me to try it again - and just start small with the amount of wasabi I use!

Not had any sight of it as yet but some one is growing wasabi in Hampshire , and is getting it distributed through my mushroom seller

I like to dip the sushi rice that's fallen out of the roll into the wasabi paste and then eat it before chewing on (but not swallowing) the ginger portion that is usually also offered on a proper plate of dine-in sushi. I do like the wasabi quite a bit, but eating it this way is my favorite way to enjoy it. My second favorite way would be the popular 'wasabi peas' that seem to be getting more known as of lately.

I love wasabi with my sushi and sashimi just watch out for its strong spicy taste. Soy sauce also adds flavor the fish so never go without it! Vinegar is also a suitable alternative for raw seafood.

I love strong flavors such as chili and blue vein cheese but for some reason I'm not a fan of wasabi. I can stomach it easily but I can't say that I enjoy tasting it. Each to their own right! :)

My husband loves wasabi. Whenever we go to eat sushi he uses all of the wasabi we are given and will ask for more. I myself prefer a very tiny bit of wasabi on my sushi. I prefer soy sauce and pickled ginger with my sushi, I like the salty flavour over the hot and spicy. I had forgotten about wasabi peas until I had just read it in a previous thread. My brother loves the wasabi peas. All I remember is eating one and it clearing my sinuses. I can see how you would substitute wasabi for mustard or horseradish.

Back
Top Bottom