Water Kefir

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:33 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
By chance I have just landed on some water kefir grains free of charge (they are a few days out of date).

Has anyone ever made water kefir?

I drink the bottled stuff all the time, but due to my dairy allergy obviously can't have the normal dairy based kefir so this was an opportunity not to be missed. I just have never made any before but do have a fermentation kit, though was going to use out for saurkraut this week but I could just as easily user out for a water kefir instead.

I've made water kefir. It requires the use of water kefir grains/granules/bugs. Dairy kefir grains won't work for water kefir.

Water kefir grains look like little pieces of nearly colorless gelatin, but are firm, similar to ginger bugs.

In past, I was able to obtain my grains from a friend, but you can purchase them (dehydrated) online.

Water kefir is super easy - first ferment is water, sugar, a few raisins or a date, and the grains. Some recipes call for a pinch of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and some call for a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. I've found I prefer the acidic choice for flavor; the bicarb helps promote growth of more grains.

For the second ferment, you remove the grains (start a new first ferment batch with them), and add flavorings (usually fruit) of your choice. If flavoring has little natural sugar, add a bit. Store at room temperature (I used recycled beer flip top bottles) for no more than a day, then refrigerate.

I always open my kefir (and ginger bug and jun and kombucha teas) outdoors as occasionally the bubbliness can be explosive.

I've been traveling lots and my ferments have been neglected. Eager to get them going again.

Back
Top Bottom