Wax Paper

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
12:03 AM
When I was a kid, my mom used wax paper a lot. When we packed a school lunch, she wrapped our sandwiches in it, or a piece of cold fried chicken, or a piece of fruit pie, or cake. She could wrap and fold in such a way that it would stay closed and keep things fresh.

She'd also use it around the house to cover things (like keeping bacon from spattering grease everywhere) or maybe a plate of leftover food.

I was talking with my niece the other day, and she was complaining about plastic baggies and the environment and all that, and I said that I wasn't sure if the environmental impact was better or worse, but she should look into using wax paper.

1. She didn't know what wax paper was

2. I sent her a couple of videos on how to use wax paper; she laughed and said she didn't "have time to learn a whole new skill"

3. "What is this, like 1950 or something?"

I happen to use wax paper a lot, in just the same way my mom did. I especially like it for sandwiches, because I can cut a piece of wax paper to just the right size to fit the sandwich - no trying to stuff a big sandwich in a small baggie.

What about you all, do you use wax paper at all in your kitchen?

In my quest to become a more environmentally friendly person and eliminate aluminum foil and cling film from my kitchen, I ran into beeswax. It's expensive and it has a major issue for me: you can't put in direct contact with uncooked food. I use aluminum foil and cling film often to marinate food so I didn't buy it.

What is this, like 1950 or something?"
You awoke a terrible memory...I feel feint.

It was that hard a man on Blue Peter used to make origami Dinosaurs out. Folded the wrong way and it became as sharp as Katana. I need my therapist............

My mom used a lot of it, too. Not me. I don't use cling film, either (frustrating stuff to use). I only use aluminum foil for cooking, not for storage. I have a bunch of reusable plastic containers that I prefer. I even have a few sandwich-size containers. For odd shaped stuff, I use zip-loc bags. And, of course, I use Foodsaver bags to vacuum seal and freeze things.

CD

Yes, in the end I went with reusable zip-loc bags. I use them for freezing food, for marinades, for covering food in the fridge, for storing cookies.

Does baking paper count, I use it for lining my brownie desserts. Putting pavlova mix on before cooking. And various other things.

Russ
You put wax paper in the oven instead of baking/parchment paper, you'll realize your mistake. At best, the paraffin will melt, at work, it'll all catch fire.

I use parchment ("parchy") nearly every time I turn on the oven.

You put wax paper in the oven instead of baking/parchment paper, you'll realize your mistake. At best, the paraffin will melt, at work, it'll all catch fire.

I use parchment ("parchy") nearly every time I turn on the oven.

I have parchment paper, but only use it for a few things. I really want a Silpat. They cost a lot, but I hate things on a roll, for the most part. They curl up when you go to use them. When I do use parchment paper, I have to hold it down with one hand and put the food on with the other. PITA! I want to cook, not go though a kitchen sobriety test. Stone cold sober, I can't use cling film. Parchment paper is just annoying in comparison, but that's enough.

Am I starting to sound like you? I don't have a lawn, so I can't tell kids to get off it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom