Ways of cooking eggs with fried rice

FowlersFreeTime

Local time
7:12 AM
Website
www.fowlersfreetime.com
[Mod.edit: this and next few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

You would love the various styles of fried rice that they serve here. They all come with a crispy fried egg on top. If I order a carry oot I always ask for it without the egg (mai ow kai dow) and add my own fried egg at home.
Do you see different styles of egg with different varieties of fried rice? for example, I usually include scrambled eggs in my Chinese fried rice, but a fried egg (sunny side up) on my Korean fried rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you see different styles of egg with different varieties of fried rice? for example, I usually include scrambled eggs in my Chinese fried rice, but a fried egg (sunny side up) on my Korean fried rice.

Sorry, I missed that post.

I cannot vouch for how everyone here cooks fried rice but during the frying process I add a raw egg and stir it into the rice. The fried egg served on top of the rice is additional to this.

Sorry, I missed that post.

I cannot vouch for how everyone here cooks fried rice but during the frying process I add a raw egg and stir it into the rice. The fried egg served on top of the rice is additional to this.

I stir my scrambled raw eggs into the fried rice near the end. According to YouTube videos I have watched, I'm doing it wrong, but I still do it.

CD

I stir my scrambled raw eggs into the fried rice near the end. According to YouTube videos I have watched, I'm doing it wrong, but I still do it.

CD

I find there isn't a lot of minutes between the start and the end so I don't think it matters.

I find there isn't a lot of minutes between the start and the end so I don't think it matters.

I've seen some videos where the chefs scramble the eggs, put them aside, then cook everything else in the wok and add the scrambled eggs back in. That seems like too much work for a simple bowl of fried rice, to me. Fried rice is a good one-pan-quick meal in my kitchen. Leftover rice, stuff in the fridge that needs to get used, and a couple eggs kind of meal.

CD

I've seen some videos where the chefs scramble the eggs, put them aside, then cook everything else in the wok and add the scrambled eggs back in. That seems like too much work for a simple bowl of fried rice, to me. Fried rice is a good one-pan-quick meal in my kitchen. Leftover rice, stuff in the fridge that needs to get used, and a couple eggs kind of meal.

CD

I can't really see the point of that. But maybe you get larger 'clumps' of scrambled egg if you do it that way?

CD

That's what I do. My logic is that otherwise the egg could get a bit overcooked (browned) if put in too early.

CD
I do it this way, in fact I use a separate pan for the eggs. It ensures the scrambled eggs don't get discolored by the soy sauce (soy gets absorbed by the rice instead) and it also ensures the bits of scrambled egg remain fluffy. But I totally get that it undermines the simplicity of Fried rice as a "one-pot meal"

[Mod.edit: this and next few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

That is what I usually do for Chinese fried rice. :whistling:

I do it this way, in fact I use a separate pan for the eggs. It ensures the scrambled eggs don't get discolored by the soy sauce (soy gets absorbed by the rice instead) and it also ensures the bits of scrambled egg remain fluffy. But I totally get that it undermines the simplicity of Fried rice as a "one-pot meal"

I understand that. I never liked that 'egg gone dark in the soy sauce' effect. Next time I will try this. Scrambling the egg in the microwave will save on pans...

The recipe I´ve got for Nasi Goreng ( Indonesian fried rice) requires making a very thin, flat omelette, then rolling it up and slicing it into rounds. Works nicely and doesn´t make the rice all gooey with the egg.

CD

I don't like clumpy rice so I cook my lightly beaten egg before anything...take it out, roll it up and slice it into ribbons...then, I add it to the rice near the end..looks nicer , too

The first thing we cook is the egg and it's in vegetable oil and then it comes out to get chopped and put back in at the very end. Fried rice is a pre-planned meal for us because we make my special fried rice recipe I came up with. It might have leftover Asian type chicken or pork in it but usually both are fresh and raw and get marinated before cooking.

Back
Top Bottom