Ways to cook corn

cook4real

Local time
7:18 PM
So I'm trying to find a new way to cook corn, off the cob. I want something different besides just plain buttered corn. Any ideas?

I've several soups that make extensive use of corn/sweetcorn including one dual soup where there are 2 colours of soup in the same bowl. One component is a pale yellow soup (served cold ) which is corn and plain yoghurt blended until a completely smooth puree which is really good.

BBQ'ed corn or grilled corn is also great

Corn souffle/pudding, cornbread, fritters, etc as noted above.

I also make a version of succotash with corn using edemame or black eyed peas instead of lima beans since we don't like them. I also use red bell peppers and onions. If you want a nice clean looking and tasting dish, you have to cook each vege separately. You can cook them all together, but the dish will taste and look kind of muddy.

Creamed corn, using bacon grease, and you can crumble bacon in it if you want, onions, and a bit of cream mainly. Cut the corn off the cob, then using back of knife scrape down the cob to get the "milk" from the corn. Sweat the onions in the bacon grease (just enough grease to cook the onions, like a couple tablespoons or so, and a tablespoon or 2 of butter until translucent, add the corn, cook for a few minutes then add some cream and water, maybe a good pinch or 2 of sugar if your corn is not sweet, salt and pepper, then cook at a simmer until corn softens and gets creamy, stirring every 5 minutes or so. You may have to add more water.

Taste and adjust seasonings. Go easy on the salt at first because the bacon grease will add salt.

I can't give a true recipe because it depends on how much corn you are using and also because I learned to make this watching my grandmother and mother make it and neither of them used a recipe.

Would like to hear more about this. How is it made?
My recipes are at the restaurant but it's a pretty basic custard recipe in the respect that cream and eggs are the structure for the custard as well as the corn.

Cook the corn. I will generally for the recipe put the corn in a hotel pan with a little water, not too much cover with tin foil and bake until done but you can just boil the corn, not a problem. Remove the kernels from the cob and add to a sauce pan, then add cream and bring to a simmer and I will generally add some kind of chili and I've used adobo on occasion, maybe some garlic and a herb or two, and season, it's really up to you to tailor the profile to match the other components of your dinner.

Remove from the heat and allow to cool somewhat. Whisk the eggs and yolks in a seperate bowl then temper them by adding a small amount of the corn mixture at first, then add a little more, then when about half has been incorporated add the rest, this is tempering which retards any actual cooking of the whisked eggs. Using a blender not a processor blend slowly at first to make sure it not coming out the top on you then crank to high for at least 2 minutes, you want it to be as well blended as your machine allows. Strain this through a fine mesh strainer and push as much through with a silicone scraper.

Butter some porcelain ramakins and fill with the corn mixture. For an entree I use 4oz but as an appetizer with say a side salad of some kind I would probably use a 6oz. Put these in a water bath and cook at 160C around 30 minutes or until it's set enough to ensure when unmolded it doesn't collapse.

Matching a custard with an entree you should account for texture of the other components in the entree for contrast. For example I would suggest when using a custard to resist the temptation using a puree somewhere. Take into consideration the sauces in your entree. For example a gravy from beef or other meat protein work very well with a custard but yogurt or butter sauces, not so much but I'm sure you know what I mean. Forest mushrooms are one of my go to sides. I would also suggest to stay away from sweeter vegetables as well like carrots for example, the custard is savory but it is corn, so there is that. Sauteed swiss chard with lemon or baby spinach also works really well and the acid helps cut the sweetness. cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom