SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:18 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
[Mod comment: several posts moved from another thread to start this one]:

Feel free to share your wedding stories here. TR

I didn't even wear makeup when I got married! I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it. It was never my thing. I didn't wear a dress either. I did try to get married in jeans, t-shirt & hiking boots but hubby took me shopping the day before our wedding and the lady in the shop had a fit on me... I was suitably dressed out in a silk purple shirt with a matching silk waistcoat and black trousers. I actually don't remember what shoes, so I guess I never wore them again.

I didn't even wear makeup when I got married! I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it. It was never my thing. I didn't wear a dress either. I did try to get married in jeans, t-shirt & hiking boots but hubby took me shopping the day before our wedding and the lady in the shop had a fit on me... I was suitably dressed out in a silk purple shirt with a matching silk waistcoat and black trousers. I actually don't remember what shoes, so I guess I never wore them again.
This was us at our wedding, just me as I am always made up when I go out. Nothing more. And the dresses are the type we both wear to our favorite fantasy/renaissance fairs/events. We had a small wedding with just a few close friends.

This was us at our wedding, just me as I am always made up when I go out. Nothing more. And the dresses are the type we both wear to our favorite fantasy/renaissance fairs/events. We had a small wedding with just a few close friends.
View attachment 78287
Our wedding was immediate family only. All food was vegetarian (made by a vegetarian restaurant we used to frequent, so basically excellent). No alcohol was served because all were driving home and I do not approve of drink driving. My view is zero alcohol for the driver and I knew no-one would respect that. (They didn't but it was their choice to go to a pub afterwards and drink.) And it was children friendly, all kids were given several single use cameras each and I paid for developing.

At the end of it, we both asked each other what was different? And other than the fact that I finally had a legal name (just don't ask) and we had a piece of paper and rings, nothing was different. We'd had our camping walking hiking holiday before the wedding, and the honeymoon was a couple of days later... Stockholm for the New Year celebrations which was amazing.

Our wedding was immediate family only. All food was vegetarian (made by a vegetarian restaurant we used to frequent, so basically excellent). No alcohol was served because all were driving home and I do not approve of drink driving. My view is zero alcohol for the driver and I knew no-one would respect that. (They didn't but it was their choice to go to a pub afterwards and drink.) And it was children friendly, all kids were given several single use cameras each and I paid for developing.

At the end of it, we both asked each other what was different? And other than the fact that I finally had a legal name (just don't ask) and we had a piece of paper and rings, nothing was different. We'd had our camping walking hiking holiday before the wedding, and the honeymoon was a couple of days later... Stockholm for the New Year celebrations which was amazing.

We had just shy of 300 guests at our wedding (we made a killing on wedding gifts :laugh:). At the reception, at a hotel ballroom, we had two kegs of beer, and several cases of wine. There was plenty of food, served buffet style.

At the reception, we put single use cameras on every table, and encouraged people to have fun with them.

CD

Mod.comment. Posts are veering off topic

Do we need a 'wedding thread'? Its one in which I will refuse to participate but I won't let that prejudice me from setting it up. :D
I think that would make for an interesting thread myself.
Do it MG!

Let's see...where to start...

First, weddings are a big deal in my wife's family, but not in mine, so there were some hiccups over that. I'll get to those later.

The first comment I'll make is that I had two conditions for the wedding festivities - no little kids and I got to choose my own tux, and the tux I chose was a beautiful thing that just looked like a standard black one until the light hit it a certain way, then it turned from solid black to a shiny, brilliant silver-grey paisley-patterned jacket. It was stunning.

When we went to the tux place, I was flipping the pages of the offerings a mile a minute, and when that one popped up, I knew it was the one. MrsT did as well - she rolled her eyes and said, "I knew you'd pick something like that!" :laugh:

Last edited:
I won´t start with my wedding; rather, my sister-in- law´s.
I´d been dating my wife for some while and she persuaded me to go to Venezuela on holiday with her ( didn´t take much persuading). Her sister was getting married, so it´d be a fun wedding. August, 1980.
Lil sis was marrying the son of an Italian constructor, who´d made a fortune in the housing boom of the late 60s and 70s, so the wedding was going to be BIG.
There are special places for weddings in Venezuela, called "Party Halls". The one we went to held over 2,000 guests:hyper::hyper::hyper:
Champagne and 12 yr old scotch all night. Not a beer in sight. A constant stream of what are known as "pasapalos" (cocktail snacks) - mini carpaccios, little chicken tartlets, morsels of tenderloin with bearnaise, smoked salmon, blinis, caviar, breaded shrimp, cheese pastries - they just kept on coming all night long. Then my future Father-in-law grabbed me by the arm and gabbled something at me in Spanish. I had no idea what he was saying, I just followed. I only spoke about 10 words of Spanish then - most of them swear words.
" Señor Presidente! Quiero que conozca el novio de mi hija!" (Mr President - I want you to meet my daughter s boyfriend )
JEEEZZ!
It really was the President of Venezuela - and all his cabinet:bravo::bravo:" How are you?" he said. "Pleased to meet you! said I.
and I´d never even met my local MP in the UK..

Just curious ...

If not for love and affection, what reasons drive people to get married?

- to have a family
- financial support
- to have someone look after them
- to have someone there to clean the house and cook food
- to meet other people's expectations
- because you have a shotgun pointed at you
- unwanted pregnancy
- to force a claim on a good looking partner as a gratification or personal accessory
- great sex
- fixed marriage setup by family matriarchs/patriarchs
- companionship due to loneliness
- mail order
- contract marriage as is often done in Hollywood between actors and actresses
- to satisfy a career advancement motive
- to intentionally have a claim on a partner's wealth or alimony after a divorce
- because mom wanted you to
- got snockered and woke up married
- ???

Just curious ...

If not for love and affection, what reasons drive people to get married?

- to have a family
- financial support
- to have someone look after them
- to have someone there to clean the house and cook food
- to meet other people's expectations
- because you have a shotgun pointed at you
- unwanted pregnancy
- to force a claim on a good looking partner as a gratification or personal accessory
- great sex
- fixed marriage setup by family matriarchs/patriarchs
- companionship due to loneliness
- mail order
- contract marriage as is often done in Hollywood between actors and actresses
- to satisfy a career advancement motive
- to intentionally have a claim on a partner's wealth or alimony after a divorce
- because mom wanted you to
- got snockered and woke up married
- ???

I said I wouldn't participate in this thread due to my anti-marriage views. But I suppose a lot of the above applies in one way or another to all sorts of marriages. 'Romance' is not included, I note! Although, I really don't understand what a legal agreement has to do with 'romance'. I'll shut up now 🤐

I said I wouldn't participate in this thread due to my anti-marriage views. But I suppose a lot of the above applies in one way or another to all sorts of marriages. 'Romance' is not included, I note! Although, I really don't understand what a legal agreement has to do with 'romance'. I'll shut up now 🤐

Given that romance, love and affection are the basis for a marriage, then the legal contract serves a few purposes, 1) recognition, 2) commitment and 3) family. Legally, in the USA anyway, marriage brings with it entitlements, especially at tax time, but in many ways regarding healthcare, housing, inheritances, etc. Commitment to a partnership in marriage is an agreement to pursue a mutual relationship which supports this combined prospering as family. The family unit and its branches have always been important culturally and through shared traditions, are the crux of societal strength. I would say that I believe in marriage given all that, but that unfortunately, I have never found a partner with who I could share romance, love and affection. It just never happened. For many these days, love and that type of affection are a falacy. I can't agree.

So how does a marriage provide societal strength beyond the shared traditions? There's a whole linkage going on which involves family, progenation of new citizens with shared culture and identity. Social security insurance in particular is an important issue as is care of parents by their children. I am old and if not for younger generations paying in to social security, I'd be on the rocks for sure. I have however, no kids to look out for me, no family and no tax cuts. But for me, having those benefits is not a reason to get married.

I got married at 18 and wife was 16, I think from memory we had to get mil permission? Registry office and done on the cheap, my mil supplied finger foods and I crates of beer. I only had enough money for wedding ring for my wife. I have never worn a wedding ring .
Bearing in mind we had a year old daughter at the time.

Russ

Marriage is not for everyone, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. My parents have been happily married for 66 years, and romance was involved all along, although now, their mental health is not very conducive to romance. For them, at this point, it is a connection that is hard to understand. I imagine that when one of them dies, the other will die within the year.

My marriage didn't last but 7 years, but I don't regret having gotten married, and to the woman I married. Believe it or not, it was a pretty good thing while it lasted. We had fun, we never fought, and pretty well excepted each other "as-is." We both did things that aggravated the other, but we learned to live with the things that weren't likely to change.

As for FL's question, for me it was about love for another person, first, and making a commitment to that person. Sharing life's burdens was another benefit. That can be anything from financial to physical/mental/emotional burdens. You are not in it alone.

Am I looking to get married again? No. That ship has sailed. At 60, I've grown to set in my own ways. I don't want someone coming in and changing things upon me. In the relationships I have had since my divorce, I've been open and honest about that. The women I've had relationships with have been in the same place -- neither one of us were wanting things to get "complicated."

I am neither pro-marriage, nor anti-marriage. People have to do what feels right for them as a couple.

CD

Marriage is not for everyone, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. My parents have been happily married for 66 years, and romance was involved all along, although now, their mental health is not very conducive to romance. For them, at this point, it is a connection that is hard to understand. I imagine that when one of them dies, the other will die within the year.

My marriage didn't last but 7 years, but I don't regret having gotten married, and to the woman I married. Believe it or not, it was a pretty good thing while it lasted. We had fun, we never fought, and pretty well excepted each other "as-is." We both did things that aggravated the other, but we learned to live with the things that weren't likely to change.

As for FL's question, for me it was about love for another person, first, and making a commitment to that person. Sharing life's burdens was another benefit. That can be anything from financial to physical/mental/emotional burdens. You are not in it alone.

Am I looking to get married again? No. That ship has sailed. At 60, I've grown to set in my own ways. I don't want someone coming in and changing things upon me. In the relationships I have had since my divorce, I've been open and honest about that. The women I've had relationships with have been in the same place -- neither one of us were wanting things to get "complicated."

I am neither pro-marriage, nor anti-marriage. People have to do what feels right for them as a couple.

CD

Dont answer if you feel I'm invading your personal space but you never mentioned kids? I take it you never had any?
How does it feel not having your name carry on? Part of you that is. I know it doesn't bother tasty, are you the same?

Russ

Dont answer if you feel I'm invading your personal space but you never mentioned kids? I take it you never had any?
How does it feel not having your name carry on? Part of you that is. I know it doesn't bother tasty, are you the same?

Russ

Due to medical reasons, my wife was not able to have kids. We spent A LOT of money on treatments. They didn't work. I am okay with it. She was not. That was at the center of what split us apart.

Once I am dead, I'm not going to know, or care if anyone carries my name, or not. It was never a big deal to me. If I had kids, all I would care about is them living happy lives. Carrying on my name would not be their job in life.

CD

Due to medical reasons, my wife was not able to have kids. We spent A LOT of money on treatments. They didn't work. I am okay with it. She was not. That was at the center of what split us apart.

Once I am dead, I'm not going to know, or care if anyone carries my name, or not. It was never a big deal to me. If I had kids, all I would care about is them living happy lives. Carrying on my name would not be their job in life.

CD
Thanks for your honest reply. I know you and your sister are looking after your mum and dad and know they will appreciate it. I hope theres someone to look after you. We all need a good ending. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom