Weekly Menu (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting nervous over the Chicago dogs I have planned. I went to my usual source for sport peppers and Chicago relish and they stopped carrying it. I thought I was going to have to drive an hour to the big international market to find it.

Lo and behold, at my local gourmet grocer's, I found it. And that's isn't a trick of the light on that relish - it really is a completely unnatural bluish-green.

Chicago dogs are back on!
View attachment 30661

What's in the relish please?

Russ

What's in the relish please?

Russ
Nothing special except that dye:

Cucumbers, Water, Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Xanthan Gum, Red Peppers, Alum, Turmeric (for Color), FD&C Blue #1 (for Color), and 1/10 of 1% Benzoate of Soda (Preservative).

Nothing special except that dye:

Cucumbers, Water, Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Spices, Xanthan Gum, Red Peppers, Alum, Turmeric (for Color), FD&C Blue #1 (for Color), and 1/10 of 1% Benzoate of Soda (Preservative).

Thanks, seems our relish is different, I make tomato relish, it has lots of tomatoes, onions vinegar, flour and curry powder. Your description is like our chow chow or piccalilli. Poles apart???
Lol

Russ

Recipe please!

Don't think I ever had elk. Is it 'gamey' tasting?

Your recipe request was with regard to the eggplant (aubergine) lentil dhal. That's coming to this site today or tomorrow - in part because it had cumin in it...

Elk - it wasn't gamey, but it wasn't hunted "wild" but grown in a pastured setting somewhere here in Massachusetts. It tasted very much like a beef sirloin steak, but with subtle differences I can't quite pinpoint. (I'd cooked it in the skillet with just a little salt, ground pepper and garlic powder. Didn't want to get fancy with my first venture cooking it!)

I need a bigger door - I couldn't add the sautéed spinach that'll go with the pork.

02DF286D-226D-4D32-B471-845BED2D15F6.jpeg

Since we're knee-deep in Oktoberfest season in my area, this week's menu is all German, and all from this 1967 paperback of German recipes:
ED26453E-58AF-44C2-B53E-10FCF3A68020.jpeg

I've done the translations of the German dish names, but as I make them, I'll use the German name as well. I love the German language, it's a strange mix of brutal and sexy, all at once! :rolleyes:
3B302DAA-59DA-4FA0-9BAE-BB81AB856860.jpeg

Tasty Reuben, does that chalkboard really say "Blind Hen Veg"??? I'm scratching my noodle trying to imagine this dish!
Yup, that's what it says.

Essentially, it's veggies (and an apple thrown in) cooked in a German potato-style dressing. It's really quite good.

Apparently, no one knows the origin of the name, and I'm on another (non-cooking) forum that happens to have several Germans on it, and they were all familiar with the dish by that name, though they also couldn't say where it came from. If I remember correctly, it's a specialty of Westphalia.

I posted the pic here:

What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

Gratin dauphinois, beef sausage, green beans
Spicy pasta bake with mozzarella (veg)
Madras curry with roasted pork tenderloin
Spanish tortilla omelette with salad (veg)
Duck liver pate, confit onions, pickled veg and artisan bread
Roast potatoes and courgette with beer battered cod
Pepperoni pizza (homemade)

This is the list for this week, the days are interchangable for when I feel like cooking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom