Weekly Menu (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have enough chicken leftovers to last me 3 days, so I'll start with those. They are fried chicken and chicken breasts cooked in the oven with paprika, brown sugar and pepper.

Wednesday we're eating out. Portugal will go into lockdown on thursday, boyfriend is working nights monday and tuesday so this is the last we'll see each other till who knows when 🥺

On the weekend, I'll cheer myself up by cooking my first sunday roast, which will be a whole chicken with carrots and Yokshire pudding.

belong to a cooking group face-to-face where we challenge ourselves once a month to step out of our boxes and either do or learn something new. This month's theme is food for the holidays. I decided to make tamales - which I have never eaten before, much less cooked

Sounds like a good challenge - although I'm not a fan of broad themes like ' food for holidays'. I prefer something a bit more focussed.

I've been holding off introducing more challenges here again (we used to have several more running besides the Recipe challenge, on and off ). Maybe, given the large number of entries we are now receiving for that, we should re-introduce others from time to time.

We've been talking about making tamales again, maybe when Craig can stand to be up on his leg longer, as they are so much work, but are 1 of those things that don't take a whole lot longer to make lots and then freeze for later meals. We usually get anywhere from 3-5 more meals out of a batch. Tamales would be a good thing for a challenge since they can be vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, sweet, savory, mild, spicy, cheesy or not, pretty much whatever you want.

Not to toot my own horn, but we've already got a basic tutorial on here.

We've been talking about making tamales again, maybe when Craig can stand to be up on his leg longer, as they are so much work, but are 1 of those things that don't take a whole lot longer to make lots and then freeze for later meals. We usually get anywhere from 3-5 more meals out of a batch. Tamales would be a good thing for a challenge since they can be vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, sweet, savory, mild, spicy, cheesy or not, pretty much whatever you want.

So glad to hear you're able to discuss these things together again!

Sounds like a good challenge - although I'm not a fan of broad themes like ' food for holidays'. I prefer something a bit more focussed.

I've been holding off introducing more challenges here again (we used to have several more running besides the Recipe challenge, on and off ). Maybe, given the large number of entries we are now receiving for that, we should re-introduce others from time to time.
Broad themes work when face to face is possible... you really don't want everyone bringing yet another iteration of the same dish. And for a holiday theme, such as that one was, adding in the flexibility worked. There are other times where we have learned new but very related skills.
The Asian dumpling day was like that... it was about one of the last times we could meet face to face (so we also allowed for someone to bring a salad, and another to bring a dessert), while the rest of us brought dumpling makings, and we all learned together how to make Asian fried or steamed dumplings that didn't fall apart, with various stuffings.

I sat at my dining table to make the tamales - not the initial prep parts, but the lay the masa on the corn husk, followed by the lay the stuffing on that, followed by the roll up part. Saves my ankle big time.

(I do this with all similar foods... stuffed grape leaves, Vietnamese summer rolls...)

I sat at my dining table to make the tamales - not the initial prep parts, but the lay the masa on the corn husk, followed by the lay the stuffing on that, followed by the roll up part. Saves my ankle big time.

(I do this with all similar foods... stuffed grape leaves, Vietnamese summer rolls...)

It was the making of the parts I was referring to. I do the putting together part and also do it sitting down.

An ambitious menu this time around:

Tonight, I'm taking the last of the beef burgundy and the leftover mashed potatoes and reimagining that into a shepherd's pie-type thing.

Tomorrow, murphyscreek's chicken provencal and some green beans on the side.

After that, in no order (hold tight):

Spaghetti And Meatballs
Entree Fridge Salad
Cottage Ham And Soup Beans & Cornbread
Winter Baby Back Ribs Potato Salad
Stuffed Cabbage Soup
Butternut Squash, Leek, And Goat Cheese Galette & Lettuce Salad
Apple-Cheesecake Pie

After that, I've got to start cooking out of the freezer. It's getting full again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom