Weekly Menu (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have taken this thread a bit differently than most. I took it as I am responsible, like a head chef at a nursing or rehab place, or the floor of a hospital. This would include doing the purchase, or orders through the company.

T

Nah - this thread is simply for your own menu at home (if you have one). Usually, I don't!

Well that's the other thing, I have no real plans at home. I figured a place where I had to make a menu so the supplies are there and the staff is up to speed.

It is not the worst idea for the house though. Like me, I don't drive, if I send someone, what to tell them to get ?

T

We'll finish up last week's menu tonight. Starting tomorrow evening:

Pork tenderloin with 3 mustard sauce and cantaloupe and honeydew.

Cavatelli with arugula, gaeta olives and ricotta salata.

Po'boys, oyster for Craig, shrimp for me, dressed.

Crab stuffed shrimp and rice pilaf.

Meatloaf with mashies and carrots/green peas.

Crab cheesecake with red bell coulis and corn fritters.

Leftover moussaka and/or tonight's baked pasta.

Last edited:
Day 1. Breakfast; Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast,
Lunch; Cold cut sandwich, small salad.
Dinner; Macaroni with ragu sauce, salad, fruit salad.

Day 2. Breakfast; Eggs sunny side up, extra toast, bacon.
Lunch; Bowl chili with fine chopped onions ad grated cheddar, salad.
Dinner; Chicken Alfredo, salad, some kind of dessert.

Day 3. Breakfast; Hard boiled eggs, slice of cheese and mayo, fruit salad.
Lunch; Hamburger, fries and cole slaw.
Dinner; Pork chop, mashed spuds, veggie, salad.

Day 4. Breakfast; Scrambled ham and eggs with cheese on top, toast.
Lunch; Chicken sandwich with whatever they want, fries, salad.
Dinner; Meatloaf, mashed spuds, salad.

Day 5. Breakfast; Sausage and eggs, hash browns.
Lunch; Pizza, made on site but good. Potato chips.
Dinner; Pork chops, home fries, veggie.

Day 6. Breakfast; Oatmeal, fruit bowl.
Lunch; Burritos, salad.
Dinner; Meatball sandwiches, salad, potato chips.

Day 7. Breakfast; Omelette with ham, cheese, peppers and onions, toast.
Lunch; Fried ham etc. sandwich, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo and onion.
Dinner; Lasagna, robust salad, garlic bread.

So I did it again. I had an ulterior motive, to ask YOU what you rhink of it. If you were institutionalised what would you think of this menu, having to eat it ?

T

Grilled mojo chicken, black beans and rice, and Cuban bread.

Hot dogs and my special macaroni salad.

Stuffed portabello burgers with a balsamic reduction and baked sweet potato chips.

Chorizo pick-ups, guacamole, and esquites.

Fennel, cannellini beans, and burratta salad with a spicy n'duja dressing.

N'duja Amatriciana.

Today: I started with two soft boiled eggs. With a dash of salt for each.
Second breakfast was later at a local benefit pancake breakfast - I ate the earlier one so I wouldn't be tempted for seconds. This was two wonderful blueberry pancakes, with two slices of bacon, with butter to flavor the pancakes, and a couple drizzles of real maple syrup - I really DON'T enjoy sweet breakfasts, but I love the maple flavorings!

Lunch, if we can call it that, was at a "Celebration of Life" for a local couple who passed this last year. (She died last September and he passed in late April). What with COVID and other considerations, this was the first time this could happen. There was a "buffet" of cookies, and ice creams. I had a little chocolate chocolate chip ice cream. They were a lovely elderly couple devoted to each other.

Dinner will be a pork loin chop from a locally-raised pig, served alongside a hunk of a bok choy plant raised in my own garden. Along with a sprinkling of snacking blackberries that are growing wild around here. Seasonings for the pork and veggie to be decided. Shortly.

Monday: Dinner for breakfast, including sweet potato for some odd reason.
Lunch for lunch: ????
Breakfast for dinner, including sweet potato. Yes, they are reversed so I don't have to have something sweet-ish for breakfast.

Tuesday:
Strawberry-rhubarb chutney with crostini and goat cheese sometime during the day.
Strawberry-rhubarb chutney with a pan fried white fish.
Lunch will be with a neighbor, and she is promising tuna fish sandwiches with onion and unknown what else.

Wednesday:
Breakfast is probably eggy.
Lunch is probably at a Thai restaurant down in Connecticut.
Dinner is at an Italian restaurant down in Connecticut - meeting for our LAST book club meeting before it dissolves. I live too far away to take the running of it over from the person who is going back to school/training of some sort.

That's as far as I've got. Need to go take care of chickens before the next round of rain hits here.

Not much in the way of planning, but we're having salad with homemade French dressing (the red stuff, not a vinaigrette) tomorrow night, and knockwurst with German potato salad the night after that, then we're supposed to take a cold turn, so I'm thinking of making either chili or some kind of meatballs the next night.

What is the red stuff? Can't say I ever saw a red French dressing...
I put that in parentheses because I knew someone would ask. :) - this little blurb from Wikipedia will reveal all:

"French dressing, in American cuisine, is a creamy dressing that varies in color from pale orange to bright red. It is made of oil, vinegar, sugar, and other flavorings, with the coloring usually derived from ketchup or paprika."

And a little on the history:

"Starting in the early twentieth century, American recipes for "French dressing" often added other flavorings to the vinaigrette, including Worcestershire sauce, onion juice, ketchup, sugar, and tabasco sauce, but kept the name. By the 1920s, bottled French dressing was being sold as "Milani's 1890 French Dressing", but it is not clear whether it included ketchup at the time. The modern version is sweet and colored orange-to-red from the use of paprika and tomatoes. French dressing is generally pale orange and creamy, while "Catalina French dressing" is bright red and less creamy."

"French dressing, in American cuisine, is a creamy dressing that varies in color from pale orange to bright red. It is made of oil, vinegar, sugar, and other flavorings, with the coloring usually derived from ketchup or paprika."

French dressing (the original) can indeed be very creamy and thick because of the emulsion formed by mustard, vinegar and oil. That is usually how I make it. I've never understood why it was called a vinaigrette which sounds 'thin' to me. Until now, I didn't realise that French dressing was a different thing in the US.

Here's what I just whipped up:

To make over the next few days:

Today, to bring to the potluck tomorrow:

SUASH-BASED CASSEROLE, with Delicata and Butternut squash, plus (it's "based, not "ONLY" squash), onion, celery, carrot, mirepoix infused. with potatoes and seasonings as I get inspired. I may even shred some asiago or pecorino cheese over it tomorrow before re-heating to take with me . A vegetarian offering, without added sugars. (My driving destination is only 2 miles away.)

GREEN BEAN CASSSEROLE MAKEOVER, with fresh green beans, home grown onions, mushrooms of both shiitake and white button heritage, cream cheese, thyme, and a mushroom broth. For the onions to remain crunchy, I have to make this the day I'll be serving it, so since it is actually supposed to be warm enough tomorrow for some yardwork, I'd rather not actually COOK tomorrow before the potluck (to which I'll arrive about noon). I'd hoped to test this yesterday, but got involved in other things. Probably will make Friday.

SCOTTISH FORFAR BRIDIES, for St. Andrew's Day, November 30th. A fairly major Scottish holiday. I am guessing I'll make this Saturday. Pastry, ground beef, suet, onion, and that sort of thing. I LOVED these when I've been in Scotland, something about how all the textures go together!!! Brings back childhood, albeit not the healthiest portions thereof...

I don't know if Tasty knows this dip, but I just ran across an intriguing, and also not very healthy one (even if the recipe claims to be low carb): WISCONSIN BEER CHEESE DIP. Uses beer (hence buying some Sapporo - I'm not much into beer as a beverage) and cheddar and mozzarella. Also ground mustard powder. I already have the cream cheese for it. I'll make a very small batch to test with bell pepper slices, leftover celery stalks, and cauliflower florets, sometime in the next 2-4 days. Okay, it's partially healthy!

Speaking of cauliflower, I have two heads of the stuff, and plan to turn at least half a head into vegan CAULIFLOWER STEAKS, actual recipe to be decided.

I don't know if Tasty knows this dip, but I just ran across an intriguing, and also not very healthy one (even if the recipe claims to be low carb): WISCONSIN BEER CHEESE DIP. Uses beer (hence buying some Sapporo - I'm not much into beer as a beverage) and cheddar and mozzarella. Also ground mustard powder. I already have the cream cheese for it.
Yes, I'm very familiar with beer cheese dip. I'll likely be making one over the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom