karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
10:01 AM
Ingredients:
One lump butter
One tablespoon flour
salt & pepper
2 tsps mustard powder (or prepared mustard)
approx. 1 cupful grated strong Cheddar cheese
About a cup of beer (I used a Golden Ale; stout or porter are even better)
A dash or two of Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 thick slices toast

Method:
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan . Add the flour, salt and pepper and cook the roux for about 4-5 minutes.
  • Add the mustard powder and incorporate into the roux.
  • Add the beer and bring gently to a boil, stirring frequently so the sauce is smooth. Lower the temperature to med-low
  • Add the cheese and the Worcestershire sauce and stir until the cheese is completely melted into the rarebit.
  • Cook for about 3-4 minutes more, until thick.
  • Spread generously on toast, top with a pinch of cayenne, and grill until browned.

Ingredients:
One lump butter
One tablespoon flour
salt & pepper
2 tsps mustard powder (or prepared mustard)
approx. 1 cupful grated strong Cheddar cheese
About a cup of beer (I used a Golden Ale; stout or porter are even better)
A dash or two of Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne pepper to taste
2 thick slices toast

Method:
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan . Add the flour, salt and pepper and cook the roux for about 4-5 minutes.
  • Add the mustard powder and incorporate into the roux.
  • Add the beer and bring gently to a boil, stirring frequently so the sauce is smooth. Lower the temperature to med-low
  • Add the cheese and the Worcestershire sauce and stir until the cheese is completely melted into the rarebit.
  • Cook for about 3-4 minutes more, until thick.
  • Spread generously on toast, top with a pinch of cayenne, and grill until browned.

One of my favourite breakfasts when I was working in South Wales in '69. I would order it with beans and egg from a transport cafe on the Hereford Road out of Abergavenny. They didn't use beer for it.

karadekoolaid in your photo, you have a bag of self raising flour, is that the same as self rising flour in the US?

Ingredients
'UNBLEACHED ENRICHED SOFT WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN (VITAMIN B3), REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID), LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT.'

karadekoolaid in your photo, you have a bag of self raising flour, is that the same as self rising flour in the US?

Ingredients
'UNBLEACHED ENRICHED SOFT WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN (VITAMIN B3), REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID), LEAVENING (BAKING SODA, SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), SALT.'
It is, but the type of flour doesn't matter in this, it is the thickening agent in the roux.

I've never had nor made this dish.
I showed this to DH and just said, "why would mess up perfectly good toast?"
:laugh:
You should just make it for him once. Don’t tell him, just put it in front of him. He might come back and say, “Why would I ever eat regular toast again?” :wink:

Back
Top Bottom