What’s your favorite part of a chicken?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:35 AM
Another one spawned from another thread:

What’s you’re preferred part of a chicken? White meat, dark meat, or any meat will do? Do you favor legs over breasts, breasts over thighs; if so, which is it, and why?

(A little work, and that could be a poem)

Me? I’m dark meat all the way. A typical fried chicken, I won’t even eat the breast, it’s all wings, legs, and thighs for me.

About the only way I’ll eat the breast is cut up in a soup, or pounded thin, breaded, and pan/deep-fried…but I’d still rather have the thigh.

Why? I think the dark meat is more moist, more flavorful, and from the cooking side, more forgiving when it comes to over-cooking.

What say you, Biters?

The oyster is the best part, but it's tiny.

I am a full chicken type of person. Every part has it's superpower, mostly, dark meat these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another one spawned from another thread:

What’s you’re preferred part of a chicken? White meat, dark meat, or any meat will do? Do you favor legs over breasts, breasts over thighs; if so, which is it, and why?

Me? I’m dark meat all the way. A typical fried chicken, I won’t even eat the breast, it’s all wings, legs, and thighs for me.

About the only way I’ll eat the breast is cut up in a soup, or pounded thin, breaded, and pan/deep-fried…but I’d still rather have the thigh.

Why? I think the dark meat is more moist, more flavorful, and from the cooking side, more forgiving when it comes to over-cooking.

What say you, Biters?
I like all of it except the organ meats. I will use the organ meats for stock, however.

But otherwise it depends on how it's prepared. Generally for fried chicken, I prefer the thighs. I think the drumsticks have too little meat, not the thighs (karadekoolaid). I don't usually like the breasts fried unless it's a boneless fried patty for a sandwich because I have found they tend to be a bit dry. I like chicken breast in chicken salad with vegetables (celery, onion) in it because the mayonnaise gives it pIenty of moisture. I like a whole chicken roasted, rotisserie, baked, etc.

My husband's grandmother and his aunts (Italians) all like the chicken feet and necks. They are welcome to them.

I was traveling past a Meijer store when coming home from an out-of-town work trip early one evening a few weeks ago and stopped in to get some fried chicken. The hot foods counter was closed, but they had some cold fried chicken in a refrigerated case nearby. I found a pack with 5-legs and 5 thighs in it for $7.99. Score!!!

Last edited:
Wings, followed by thighs, followed by legs. Breasts don't have much flavor, and you have to work to keep them from getting dry and tough.

CD

Breast and thigh, depending upon what I'm cooking.

If I can get hold of chicken liver I'll cook it but they are not popular here (I have no idea why not).

Never feet.

I have cooked a braised pig's kidney (heavily trimmed) with yoghurt which I believe could be equally tasty with chicken kidney (or even liver?).

Skin...

I like it all. I love when it's whole chicken roasting time..garlic, thyme, a bit of white wine to deglaze near the end..I'd eat a thigh and leg quarter first..then the wings...the breast is usually used for left over recipes(see Left Over Thread:p).... Boneless breasts are used a lot here for other applications..so, I'd say it's equal..through out the whole boid....

Why do I have to choose? There isn't a part of the chicken that doesn't have its purpose, and you can do so many things with all of them that its totally pointless to try and rate each cut of meat separately.

Why do I have to choose? There isn't a part of the chicken that doesn't have its purpose, and you can do so many things with all of them that its totally pointless to try and rate each cut of meat separately.
You’re right, of course. The breast is good for holding the largest pieces of skin. Peel that fried skin off, set the meat aside, and enjoy! :wink:

What say you, Biters?
Poem challenge accepted.

For most, the breast is best,
For me, it is the thigh,
And if you give judgement a rest,
I'll gladly tell you why.

The meat is sweet, though dark,
Juicy mouthful in every bite,
Smoked or fried, skin like bark,
The balance is just right.

To be healthy, remove the fat,
For best results, leave intact,
Thigh's versatility is where it's at,
For me this is simply fact.

Breast and thigh, depending upon what I'm cooking.

If I can get hold of chicken liver I'll cook it but they are not popular here (I have no idea why not).

Never feet.

I have cooked a braised pig's kidney (heavily trimmed) with yoghurt which I believe could be equally tasty with chicken kidney (or even liver?).

Chicken liver would probably work well here, though I'd rather use thigh meat.

Back
Top Bottom