What about eating dogs?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:36 AM
What are your views about using dogs as food? To Westerners this might seem horrific but in some cultures its perfectly accepted. What do you think? This report in the Guardian debates the issue:

Would you eat rabbit? Even those who regularly consume meat from chickens, sheep and pigs will often balk at the thought of eating a cuddly little bunny rabbit. But what’s the difference? Why do we see some animals as furry friends and others as fair game to chop up and eat? With the Winter Olympics turning attention towards South Korea, dog meat has been put on the media menu. The west has gone into shock mode. They eat dogs? They must be mad!

30 million dogs are slaughtered each year for the Asian market and served up in dishes like dog salad and dog stew. As a vegan, this appals me. But no more than I’m appalled by people eating chickens and cows. Is there really such a difference? I sense some hypocrisy in the outrage, and perhaps a little dollop of racism (or at least xenophobia) on the side.

The details of the dog meat trade are indeed horrific. Puppies are squeezed into excruciatingly cramped metal cages. They are left alone for most of their lives, yelping for help that never comes. Dog mess collects beneath the cages. Paws become torn and bloody as they struggle for firm footing on the hard wire they are supposed to stand on. Some of them collapse and die. The rest are sent to markets in even more cramped crates. Then they are killed. In other words, it’s much like what happens to pigs and many other animals in much of the west. In this context, the recent coverage of Korea’s dog meat industry amount to little more than the condemnation of foreigners for having their own food culture.

Yes, dogs are smart and friendly – but so are pigs. Researchers from Cambridge University found pigs are as smart as three-year-old humans. They can play computer games and recognise people they met several years ago. They develop trust and empathy like we, and dogs, do. Few people relish the thought of any animals being slaughtered so it’s normal for those who eat meat to try to justify it. Just as westerners get angry about people in Asia eating dogs and cats, many Indians get outraged by westerners eating cows. People shake their heads in disbelief at guinea pigs and alpacas being served up in South America.
korea-eating-dog-meat-animals-food-west

There was mention of eating dog in another thread. Having had time to consider the idea I have to admit that any revulsion I may feel is purely an emotional reaction.

My Niece and her husband just returned from a trip to Dubai. She rode a camel and ate camel (not the same one). As newlyweds they spent a year teaching English in South Korea. They ate many strange and unusual foods. Niece said her Hubby would order their meals but not tell her what was in it. Baby Sis and BIL ate Guinea Pig in Peru. They did not care for it - a very oily meat.

In the spirit of adventure and cultural open mindedness I would probably try what we consider domestic animals. It would be best If I did not know what I was eating.

Who am I to judge? I have cooked and eaten frog legs and alligator. I have eaten many species of wild game. I have not eaten rattle shake but would not hesitate to do so. Rocky Mountain Oysters - bull's balls. I plan to cook chicken feet. :eek:

Who am I to judge?
That's also my perspective. I own 2 dogs, and wouldn't choose to eat it myself, but I won't begrudge someone else doing it. And @morning glory's quote about pigs being smart is an excellent example of the hypocrisy that I willing practice when it comes to food.

I have eaten rabbit: Selden Standard - a phenomenal restaurant in Detroit - had a spectacular rabbit ragu:

o.jpg

Having said that, I would almost certainly choose to replace the rabbit with a number of other proteins if I decided to make it myself.

I've eaten rabbit many a time - both domestically bred for food and wild - and have no qualms eating pork, lamb, beef, poultry or horse (including donkey!) but I don't think I could knowingly eat dog, even if poodle is supposed to taste like chicken. A friend of mine did have cat at one time, but she did not know what it was before she ate it, and was rather ill after she found out. No, I'll stick to the "normal" stuff, thank you.

Having said that, I had a rather strange tasting Chinese curry one time from a local takeaway. Even my Alsatian wouldn't touch it. On one of their regular inspections, Environmental Health found a dog in their freezer, and another takeaway had some rather unusual for here fish in theirs.

What are your views about using dogs as food?

I know that dog is eaten in some cultures and if I were somehow in a situation like the Donner Party, I'd rather eat dog than my fellow travelers.

Dogs are often viewed as if children of their owners. To eat one is very repulsive. The use of dogs in sports is sometimes frowned upon.

I like dogs and cats, parakeets, horses and so on.

Here's my "Images are Language" comment on dog fighting ...

Grendel.png

Grendel: A Comment on Illegal Dog Fighting - 2016 (Artist - FlyingLentris alias)

Yes, that's an example of my art work. Not the best, but an example, none the less.

I know that dog is eaten in some cultures and if I were somehow in a situation like the Donner Party, I'd rather eat dog than my fellow travelers.

Dogs are often viewed as if children of their owners. To eat one is very repulsive. The use of dogs in sports is sometimes frowned upon.

I like dogs and cats, parakeets, horses and so on.

Here's my "Images are Language" comment on dog fighting ...

View attachment 14263
Grendel: A Comment on Illegal Dog Fighting - 2016 (Artist - FlyingLentris alias)

Yes, that's an example of my art work. Not the best, but an example, none the less.

I like that artwork. You have surprised me. :) It conveys the sensation of a brutal dogfight or innate aggression.

Last edited:
As a vegetarian of some 38 years, I've long been a little baffled as to why some people are quite happy to eat certain animals, but get rather finicky at the thought of eating others.

I understand what your saying. I've had dogs as a pet, and part of my family for 45 years hence my personal reasoning. I've never had a pet cow, pet duck, or pet pig. Right or not, that's how it is for me.

..Late night philosopher..?

I would never eat dog..if I knew it was a dog.
I do eat meat, ..probably too much. :(

If I had to kill and butcher my own meat, I would certainly eat less. (been there, done that, not proud)
Love to have a hobby farm with chickens, goats..but nothing I'd ever butcher.
Not into the purely vegan thing.

Humans have existed to this date due to the fact that we were omnivores...anything from dirt, to bugs, to plants to animals..
We wouldn't be here today if we weren't.
We humans are only here for a tiny speck of time.
Dinosaurs were here for~ 150 Million years +, ...Humans only ~60 thousand..so far?

Eat what you want, while it exists.... if it keeps you happy,..have fun..although you may not have the respect of your neighbors.

Bacteria have no emotions if they destroy an organism
A bear has no emotions when it eats anything that moves, it's hungry
Are we any more "advanced" because we have some sort of recognition?
I think not..

You can only have so many ants on a golf ball..

Pleasure yourself while you can...

/end rant

Back
Top Bottom