• 91 to 100 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:50 AM
I was considering making a post today but wondered whether it would be appropriate, having little idea of the age groups into which the majority of members fit.

Just to give an idea, would members be prepared to post their age group, anonymously of course, in this poll?

As I shall post first, mine will not be anonymous.

I wouldn't mind I - I've often made reference to it - I suspect (pretty well know) that we err on the side of older age groups. If so, I this is probably due to two main factors - the first being that younger people have busier social/family/work lives. The second and probably more important one is that younger people favour instagram, facebook, snapchat etc. - fast, on the move social media. Forums like this one are much slower paced and tend to work better for debates, discussions and detailed in-depth exploration of topics. Many older people will remember the internet 'discussion boards' which used to exist in the days when Facebook didn't and will be familiar with this kind of format. In fact, I've occasionally heard members refer the this forum as a 'board'.

Forums like this don't work so well with 'on the go' smart phone media, however 'smart-phone friendly' the interface is. Plus - many people regard 'forums' as a special interest place where you drop in to ask a question or solve a problem (usually a techie one') like particular questions to do with software.

If you search for food forums with Google you will find very few - I think that probably says it all. Just my thoughts - this is part of a wider discussion, of course!

I'm still in the 31-40 age bracket......for the next couple of months anyway :whistling:

I've used message boards/forums since around 2001 and its a format I like - its well suited to knowledge sharing and advice giving. I'm a member of several and tend to spend my time between them.

I also like Facebook but more for finding out what's going on locally. I am a member of several special interest groups on there but in some respects I find it too chaotic and transient for good discussions: topics quickly get lost and overtaken by new ones, and comments and replies are in multiple streams rather than in chronological order so sometimes important points are overlooked. And don't get me started on their search function....

I also like Facebook but more for finding out what's going on locally. I am a member of several special interest groups on there but in some respects I find it too chaotic and transient for good discussions: topics quickly get lost and overtaken by new ones, and comments and replies are in multiple streams rather than in chronological order so sometimes important points are overlooked. And don't get me started on their search function....

Couldn't agree more - I'm on a Facebook UK food group which has some rather good cooks but as you say its confusing and posts and comments quickly get lost. I keep wondering how to lure the members to join CookingBites without seeming to be 'spamming'!

Back
Top Bottom