What are you baking today (2020-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky for me, I have a source of excellent fresh baked croissants nearby. Too much work for me.

CD

Lucky for me, I have a source of excellent fresh baked croissants nearby. Too much work for me.

CD
Sometimes that is a very good option.
Kid picked frozen,ready to bake mini croissants a month ago. She baked them once, had some, but not all...from what I saw they looked underbaked, but I did not criticize...
Some time in the future, we'll have a second go...
But I do admire Tasty's effort. I read with awe. Great job.

...Croissants continued:

Just out of the oven:
View attachment 67540

With tart cherry jam and Hotel Chocolat's version of Nutella:
View attachment 67541

With my coffee:
View attachment 67542

I love the little one:
View attachment 67543

The inside:
View attachment 67544

The verdict: could be better, but so, so much superior to the utter crap from the supermarket that passes for a croissant. I need to get the inside a little more cohesive, I think, and a little fluffier, maybe, but the otherwise excellent.

Perfectly crisp on the outside, just gloriously crunchy and wafer thin. The butter flavor...well, you get to experience it three times: you can smell it before you even get near the pastry, you can feel it when you pick the croissant up, and then, of course, you get the payoff of tasting it.

As to the work involved: is it a lot of work? Yes and no. Nothing about it is terribly difficult, but it can be a little tedious, especially if you're a perfectionist (I'm not) or if you don't have that natural knack for rolling perfect rectangles (I don't) - that means I didn't roll perfect rectangles, but I didn't get too fussed about it.

I think where the perception of the amount of work comes from is that it feels like you're constantly tending to the dough. First, you make the dough, then it rises for a couple of hours (that's your longest break), then you shape it into a rectangle, fold it, and chill it for an hour, during which time you make the butter slab, then you roll the dough, place the butter slab, do the folds, then back in the fridge for 30 minutes, then again, so on and so forth a couple more times.

That's Day 1.

The next day, you're rolling once more, cutting and shaping the croissants, letting them rise, then finally baking them.

Phew!

Nothing hard, really, and hands-on time is probably less than 10 minutes at each step you're actually doing something, but by the end of the first day, you feel like you've spent more time with that dough than doing anything else, because before you know it, it's time to roll and fold that dough.

All in all, though, the end result, even my less-than-perfect one above, justifies the effort, and considering that the dough can be frozen (either just before or just after shaping into individual pastries), it's something where you can do a set amount of work ahead of time and have fresh-baked croissants just about any time you want them.

Excellent work. Possibly a tad too browned on top. I agree about the work load - its not difficult. Also, I trim the rectangle to the right size using a ruler. I think your recipe differs as it sounds as if you are rising the dough before folding? The one I use begins the folding and buttering of the dough after simply resting it in the fridge for an hour. The longer rising is after its had its last folding.

Link to my effort: Butter Croissants

Excellent work. Possibly a tad too browned on top. I agree about the work load - its not difficult. Also, I trim the rectangle to the right size using a ruler. I think your recipe differs as it sounds as if you are rising the dough before folding? The one I use begins the folding and buttering of the dough after simply resting it in the fridge for an hour. The longer rising is after its had its last folding.

Link to my effort: Butter Croissants
Yes, there is an initial rising after first assembling the dough. I used this recipe (with video):

Chef John's Croissants

Used the other half of the croissant dough from last week to make chocolate croissants (that's pain au chocolat for the fancy folks) this weekend:

Yes, that's me actually trying to stage a photo. It's no better than when I just throw them out there on their own. :laugh:

I did put golden raisins instead of chocolate in two of them. I like those just as much as the chocolate ones.

I do have to share this story about the croissants:

I've extolled my platonic love of my hair stylist here before. I'm fond of her in part because she's gone through both formal culinary training and a baking school, and she owned a bakery for a while, so when she cuts my hair, we're always chatting about food and showing pics of stuff we've made. Her food makes mine look sad, BTW.

When I made croissants last week, I came out with an odd number, so I took the leftover one, shaped it, then froze it, with the idea that I'd bake it and take it in the day of my next haircut, which I did.

I baked it the morning of, it looked nice, I cooled it, then wrapped it in parchment paper, slipped it in a little paper bag, and took it in.

Now, my intention was that I'd show it to her, ask her how it looked, and that she'd eat it over lunch or at home that evening and tell me how I did.

Here's how it went down:

"Hi! Hey, I made something and brought you one, I was hoping you'd give me your opinion about it."

"Hi! OMG, what is it?! I can't wait!"

She opened the bag.

"OMG! A croissant! This looks amaaaaaazing!"

We were in her salon cubicle, chair and sink and all that, so I fully expected her to stick it back in the bag and promise to let me know about the taste and texture later.

"Yeah, I was hoping you could try it lat-"

<Rips off end of croissant and pops it in her mouth>

"Mmmmm...mmmm... Oh wow! This is soooo good! This'll be great with lunch!"

"Thanks! Um, I'd like to see the inside, so when you eat it later, can you take a pic of the insi-"

<Rips croissant right in half, shows me the inside>

"Looks perfect to me!"

She stuck it back in the bag, washed her hands, then we got on with the business at hand.

On the way out the door, she thanked me again and said she was going to run across the parking lot at lunchtime, to the deli next door, and get some chicken salad to have with it.

I got home about 30 minutes later, and maybe 30 minutes after that, she texted me a pic of the empty bag and said, "Haha! Couldn't wait!"

That's why I like her. She was all-in for croissant! :okay:

Angel biscuit, which are yeasted:

As many here know, I'm rather addicted to recipes, and except for a few things, I rarely make the same thing twice, because I'm always trying a new recipe I've found somewhere.

The same holds true for (American-style) biscuits (which are somewhat like scones, but at the same time altogether different), and I think this may be the first time I've made yeasted biscuits (though I have made yeasted scones).

They were very good. As biscuits aficionados will note, these are not "flaky layer" biscuits, but very light and fluffy inside.

Anyhoo, every time I make biscuits, my wife says, "OMG! These are the best biscuits you've made! DO NOT lose this recipe!"

Today was no exception. 😎

I have hardly turned the oven on for 6 weeks it's too (redacted) hot

It's cooled down a bit here and I am going to try baking something with a twist that I had put on my grocery shopping list. Today's the day I bake something again.

Hope it works well for you. The weather is set to break on Wednesday, Sept and Oct we can usually switch the aircon of in the bedroom. Split - BBC Weather

Actually, I baked something the other day, - a breakfast calzone. That was tolerable and I only had to turn on the room fan to keep cool. The calzone turned out well and it was the first time I ever did a calzone. If the cool period lasts, I want to do a pizza and possibly another calzone, but with meat and cheese, instead of eggs, bacon and cheese. I also have on my mind an itch to do a sort of oven grinder, but enclosed, like a calzone and not like a hot sandwich.

I am still not up to trying a bread yet, but soon.

Some time ago, the topic of cleaning up the dough mixing bowls and other stuff came up and I believe, JAS_OH1 provided a swell reply about how use more flour to dry up the wet sticky dough and remove it to a plastic trash bag for disposal.

I want to thank whoever made the post, as it has helped me immensely to clean up after my dough preparation in just minutes. I really do appreciate that advice, to this day.

:okay:

Some time ago, the topic of cleaning up the dough mixing bowls and other stuff came up and I believe, JAS_OH1 provided a swell reply about how use more flour to dry up the wet sticky dough and remove it to a plastic trash bag for disposal.

I want to thank whoever made the post, as it has helped me immensely to clean up after my dough preparation in just minutes. I really do appreciate that advice, to this day.

:okay:
No, I think I read it, but it wasn't me who posted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom