What are you baking today (2020-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I baked something the other day, - a breakfast calzone. That was tolerable and I only had to turn on the room fan to keep cool. The calzone turned out well and it was the first time I ever did a calzone. If the cool period lasts, I want to do a pizza and possibly another calzone, but with meat and cheese, instead of eggs, bacon and cheese. I also have on my mind an itch to do a sort of oven grinder, but enclosed, like a calzone and not like a hot sandwich.

I am still not up to trying a bread yet, but soon.
I think bread is just as easy to make as pizza dough. You might want to go ahead and give it a shot sometime. I fell in love with my homemade bread. It only took me about 3-4 tries to come up with a perfect dough that turns out great everytime and I find it vastly superior to the bakery bread at the grocery store (and forget about the bread they sell on the shelves in the bread aisle, I'll likely never buy that again). Now I am ready to graduate to a pumpernickel, I just found some rye flour the other day and am going to give it a whirl sometime soon.

Some time ago, the topic of cleaning up the dough mixing bowls and other stuff came up and I believe, JAS_OH1 provided a swell reply about how use more flour to dry up the wet sticky dough and remove it to a plastic trash bag for disposal.

I want to thank whoever made the post, as it has helped me immensely to clean up after my dough preparation in just minutes. I really do appreciate that advice, to this day.

:okay:
I usually don't have a lot of wet sticky mess to clean up, thankfully. I knead my dough on a mat and I just use a knife to scrape it into the trash, and the bowls generally don't have much residue in them (nothing that a soak in water for a few minutes won't take care of).

I usually don't have a lot of wet sticky mess to clean up, thankfully. I knead my dough on a mat and I just use a knife to scrape it into the trash, and the bowls generally don't have much residue in them (nothing that a soak in water for a few minutes won't take care of).

You must be careful with flour and dough, and not just flush it down the drain. It can act like cement in the pipes and cause drain plogs.

Today's baking adventure included one egg and is an entry in the egg recipe challenge.

Golden Dill English Muffins

full.jpg

I used one muffin to spread black currant preserves on both halves for a lunch snack.

full.jpg

I've no idea what they are but they look good.
We normally get these at the German bakery, but they're all out this year, not enough help in the bakery to keep up with demand, so I made my own.

I got the recipe from a 1960's German cookbook, and I've already forgotten what all is in there, but I do remember orange peel, pepper, ginger, clove, and allspice.

Sprinkled with rum and a little icing sugar right out of the oven, then cooled and rolled in more sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom