What are you baking today (2020-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My standard stash of flour is AP, bread, self-rising, whole wheat, and white whole wheat. I have nearly full bags of all except the AP flour, which is down to a half-bag.

I sincerely doubt most people in the States would know how or be successful in making mayo, and they wouldn't want to waste the eggs.
Yep, I love mayo, eat it almost every day, and I'm a fair hand in the kitchen, I even know how to make it, yet I never have, because it's so convenient in the big jars.

Yep, I love mayo, eat it almost every day, and I'm a fair hand in the kitchen, I even know how to make it, yet I never have, because it's so convenient in the big jars.

I do once in a while if I want a flavored aioli. Certainly not for every day use though. Haven't had a failure in a good while, but occasionally do and have to start over with fresh yolk(s).

Isn't it strange how something as common across cultures as flour can be seen as something to hoard in one area, and something to give a miss in another area? We have plenty of flour available in the shops. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm still amazed that two of the easiest things to store and prepare (canned soup and pot noodles) are still readily available - and both are cheaper than just about anything else, too. Yogurt, also. Plenty of yogurt, and that's an easy convenience food. Seems like people'd be all over that.

Nope, plenty, but I had a hard time finding mayonnaise last time I was out. Who hoards mayo? Why? I love it, but it'd be one if the first things on my list I'd count as unnecessary in an international crisis.
it is very strange. One thing I have noticed is the shortage of ready mixed bread flour. I confess to being a lazy baker - I use ready mixes. But who are these folks who have suddenly discovered home baking?

it is very strange. One thing I have noticed is the shortage of ready mixed bread flour. I confess to being a lazy baker - I use ready mixes. But who are these folks who have suddenly discovered home baking?

Folks that can't find bread because it's all gone! There was at least bread the last time we went, but 2 weeks ago, NOPE, empty aisle, not a bit left of any kind.

Anyway, Quiche Lorraine for lunch today. Adapted Roux brothers recipe, full of Gruyere cheese, egg yolks and double cream. By the time this thing is over I shall be a 15st alcoholic!

Folks that can't find bread because it's all gone! There was at least bread the last time we went, but 2 weeks ago, NOPE, empty aisle, not a bit left of any kind.
That's what's just so weird to me - I was at Kroger Thursday last...bread aisle absolutely full. Milk, eggs, same thing. Pasta, all but gone.

Maybe I just picked the right day, but so far, I've had no issue getting bread. I don't usually buy bread, but I've been buying it, expecting it's going to be gone soon, and it's still available, so I keep buying.

View attachment 39161
Anyway, Quiche Lorraine for lunch today. Adapted Roux brothers recipe, full of Gruyere cheese, egg yolks and double cream. By the time this thing is over I shall be a 15st alcoholic!

That looks lovely. Re alcohol, have you had any issues getting supplies (off topic, sorry).

That looks lovely. Re alcohol, have you had any issues getting supplies (off topic, sorry).
Not so far. Last time we went to Tesco's they were running at about 50% on the wine aisle. The beer and cider aisles were empty though. Went to Bookers on Saturday and stocked up on a few cases without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom