What are you baking today (2020-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made biscuits and sausage gravy for breakfast/brunch this morning. I had planned to make this previously, but was really dreading making the biscuits simply because I don't like making them for some reason, not even drop biscuits. Luckily for me, we watched an ATK episode the other day when they made the "easiest biscuits ever." And they are. No butter to cut into the flour in the biscuit recipe itself, though you can, of course, brush them with butter and butter them to eat. The trick is to use heavy cream and HEAT it to just above body temp so it thins out and releases the butterfat in the cream before you mix with the dry ingredients. You end up with a biscuit that almost looks like a patted out and cut biscuit, and is very tender and soft. You couldn't make a breakfast sandwich with this biscuit because it would fall apart, but it makes for great eating with sausage gravy or butter/jelly.

The easiest biscuit in the world (to me, anyway) has three ingredients.

Bisquick
Sour cream
7up or Ginger ale

Like yours, it won't hold up for a sandwich but it's great for sausage gravy.

Now I'm pondering sausage gravy. I'm going to gain a thousand pounds hanging out here. ;-)

Bisquick
Sour cream
7up or Ginger ale

Now I'm pondering sausage gravy. I'm going to gain a thousand pounds hanging out here. ;-)
My biscuit recipe is also three ingredients:

White Lily self-rising flour
Buttermilk
Butter

They're delicious!

Bisquick
Sour cream
7up or Ginger ale

I've never liked Bisquick biscuits, the texture or the taste, there's something funky to it to me, though I do like pancakes made with Bisquick.

This is the first "good" dessert I ever made, back before I was married, and right after I got married, I lost the recipe.

I'd gotten it from my mom, who'd gotten it from a magazine and hand-copied it for me. Of course, in true Mom fashion, she got confused about the name when she wrote it out, which made it incredibly hard for me to track down on the internet, but a few months ago, I did just that, and I finally made it again, and it's as good as I remember.

It starts with a pre-baked pie shell (side story, I finally figured out how to keep it from shrinking), gets a basic apple pie filling, topped with a simple cheesecake topping, then flaked coconut. It calls for nuts to go on top, but I don't like nuts, so once it came out of the oven, I threw some crushed up Heath bar on it (chocolate-covered toffee bar).

This is the first "good" dessert I ever made, back before I was married, and right after I got married, I lost the recipe.

I'd gotten it from my mom, who'd gotten it from a magazine and hand-copied it for me. Of course, in true Mom fashion, she got confused about the name when she wrote it out, which made it incredibly hard for me to track down on the internet, but a few months ago, I did just that, and I finally made it again, and it's as good as I remember.

It starts with a pre-baked pie shell (side story, I finally figured out how to keep it from shrinking), gets a basic apple pie filling, topped with a simple cheesecake topping, then flaked coconut. It calls for nuts to go on top, but I don't like nuts, so once it came out of the oven, I threw some crushed up Heath bar on it (chocolate-covered toffee bar).

View attachment 56245

View attachment 56246

Looks lovely - so how do you stop the crust from shrinking?

Reactions: mjd
Looks lovely - so how do you stop the crust from shrinking?
First...throw out the instructions on the side of the box! :laugh:

Seriously, it came down to two things, and a little research revealed/reminded me of those (thanks, Chris Kimball @ Milk Street):

1. After fitting the dough in the pie pan, don't bake it straight away, chill it for an hour in the fridge. I was following the directions on the box, which said to bring it to room temp, get it in the pan, then bake it. Hell, the box directions didn't even recommend using pie weights.

2. After chilling the dough in the fridge, don't just haphazardly stick a piece of parchment paper on top any which way and add pie weights - use tinfoil and take some time to fit it snugly up against the dough, especially along the sides. It makes the work of the pie weights much easier. I was using parchment paper, which isn't great for conforming to a shape, and even with pie weights, there were whole portions of the side of the dough that had nothing holding it against pie pan, and that's where it would shrink.

A rarity for me, drop biscuits:

Among biscuit bakers and aficionados, there's usually a fight over which is "better;" drop biscuits or rolled and cut biscuits.

They both have their pros and cons. Drop biscuits are much faster/easier and much more...reliable?...while cut biscuits are flakier and better suited for butter and jam.

I like them both.

View attachment 56245

View attachment 56246
Looks great. What is the name of it?

Looks great. What is the name of it?
The proper name is Redwood Room Apple Pie (or sometimes Apple-Cheesecake Pie), but if you ask my mom, it's California Redwood Inn Apple Pie. :laugh:

Reactions: mjd
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom