What are you cooking for Thanksgiving?

Dados1950

Über Member
Local time
5:45 AM
Mod. Edit: this post and following few posts moved to form a new thread for 2017.

If you celebrate Thanksgiving, tell us what you doing and what you eating. Do you have turkey? Are you having dinner with family and friends?
This will be the 43rd annual Thanksgiving family dinner my wife and I host....Although we both love to cook, she controls the kitchen this day. Good quality turkey (24+lbs) from Whole Foods...worth the price...stuffing...mashed sweet and regular potatoes, Guinness glazed broccoli, corn pudding (our eldest son's fav),pumpkin creme brulee and about another half dozen side dishes.....desserts..too many to name...but of course pumpkin pie(s)...red & white wine with dinner..gals have a good port after dinner...guys...a good bourbon and cigar (outdoors).

Last edited by a moderator:
Will get it to you...At work now....recipe at home...
My mistake...it's brussel sprouts not broccoli....Very delicious...here goes...
3/4 cup...Chicken broth
2/3 cup Guinness Stout Beer ( the 'original"..not the draft in a can)
1/3 cup....orange juice
1/4 cup...butter
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3-3 1/2 lbs Brussel sprouts

Put all ingredient in a pot and boil down until syrupy glaze is formed.

Bon Appetite !!....Enjoy...:chef::chef:

My mistake...it's brussel sprouts not broccoli....Very delicious...here goes...
3/4 cup...Chicken broth
2/3 cup Guinness Stout Beer ( the 'original"..not the draft in a can)
1/3 cup....orange juice
1/4 cup...butter
2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon pepper
3-3 1/2 lbs Brussel sprouts

Put all ingredient in a pot and boil down until syrupy glaze is formed.

Bon Appetite !!....Enjoy...:chef::chef:

This sounds delicious! Please can I ask you to post this as a Recipe (new thread with Recipe prefix) in Vegetables, Salads and Mushrooms? Its just that if recipes are 'buried' in other threads then they aren't searchable and just get lost.

My elder brother has lived in Dallas for the last 20 years and is married to a Texan girl.
He has invited me over for Thanksgiving several times but unfortunately I have not yet been able to find the time due to work commitments.
Hope to get over there some time and experience the occasion first hand.

My elder brother has lived in Dallas for the last 20 years and is married to a Texan girl.
He has invited me over for Thanksgiving several times but unfortunately I have not yet been able to find the time due to work commitments.
Hope to get over there some time and experience the occasion first hand.

It would be interesting to know what your brother and his wife cook. Dallas style Thanksgiving...

My mistake...it's brussel sprouts not broccoli
Even better! Though, I'll bet this would work for broccoli, too.

This year, as weird as it sounds, I'm not making anything. I think I might make an insanely elaborate apple pie based on a recipe I recently saw, but that might be it.

Someone in the family suggested that we go out to eat this year, and I noticed people nodding their heads in agreement. I did a quick calculation of how much time and effort I've spent in past years deep frying turkey, making rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, and a slew of other things. Then, I visualized the sense of calm I'd experience for the first time in a long time. So, when people turned to look at me...I said I thought it would be a great idea. The food at the restaurant we picked won't be as good - not by a long shot - but the mental well-being from not spending so much effort will be worth it.

I am beginning to wish we celebrated Thanksgiving in the UK!

Who says you can not? Start your own tradition. Thanks Giving is just that - giving thanks for all of our blessings - family first and foremost, the wonderful bounty of food available to us, our freedom, our health, our homes, our "stuff". Whatever moves you to feel grateful. A time to stop and focus on what is truly important.

The majority of my family is Catholic the rest are Christian. Before our meal (not just holidays but any shared meal) someone will say the traditional Catholic blessing. Family members and guest will chime in with their personal gratitude. Deceased family members are frequently remembered. At the end of the communal blessing and before the final Amen everyone shouts out "Bless the cooks!" - even if we are dining out. Just my quirky family doing our own thing.

I have been away for a few days. My computer quit working. Fortunately it was just the charger that died. $20 and I am up and running. Probably a good thing. I did a good bit of cooking over the weekend.

I made my Savory Sweet Potato Casserole for both Thanks Giving and Christmas earlier in the week - in the freezer. I also made a couple of batches of Pig Candy - in the freezer. I need to make another couple of batches. Saturday I cooked my Drunk Pork Roast - sliced and in the freezer. An assortment of compound butter - sage, thyme. dill and roasted garlic. I REALLY need to get off of the computer and make a run to the store.

G will be leaving after Thanks Giving dinner to go to his hunting camp. I want to make a variation of Mario Batali's Egg Strata in muffin tins. The guys get up early and like having something for breakfast that can be heated in the micro wave. Their old habit was disgusting Jimmy Dean Breakfast sandwiches - Cardboard croissants, mystery meat, plastic cheese and some disgusting excuse for an egg with a very long list of unpronounceable additives. :yuck:

I also need to figure out another vegie casserole. I really want to make an asparagus, artichoke heart casserole. I tried a month or so ago and it was and epic fail - my Mornay sauce curdled. I will try it again. I hope I do not mess it up again. An expensive mistake - I use Gruyere which is far from cheap.

I also want to make apple/cinnamon infused water for the children and the non-drinkers.

I will take pictures of the food and - if they stand still long enough - some of my family.

Later

Back
Top Bottom