What are you wearing today (2020-2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not my neighbor. I live in a smallish town (about 9K pop.) so we only have two grocery stores - WalMart and Aldi. So, chances are high that one will run into the same people all the time.
I do occasionally go to the "people of Walmart" website if I feel in need of a chuckle.

It must be our age because I feel the same. My particular bug is those who wear caps in restaurants. The times I have seen a couple, the woman very well dressed, make up and hair done - clearly a lot of effort for a nice meal and the bloke in jeans and a base ball cap. I always look at thw woman and want to tell her that she could do better than him :rolleyes:

You would have a hard time living in Texas. Jeans and ball caps are common attire. Perfectly acceptable in casual dining restaurants.

CD

Agree on this too. I don't know why but I don't care for men wearing jeans and sneakers. I don't think they should never wear them but it always looks disheveled just for the reasons you stated.

I am always considered "dressed up" because I don't wear sneakers unless I'm working out or going to physical therapy. I also don't wear pj bottoms in public. I'm not overdressed but always dress appropriately for my age and body type. ;-)

You would have a hard time in Texas, too. Actually, you'd have a hard time with me. If I'm not wearing my Berkies, I'm wearing my Nikes.

CD

You would have a hard time in Texas, too. Actually, you'd have a hard time with me. If I'm not wearing my Berkies, I'm wearing my Nikes.

CD
Doubtful. I think you would look nice in them. I just don't like when people dress inappropriately for their age, size and/or occasion. Sorry if I sounded snobbish.

I always laugh at a TV advert that's playing now. It's for a laundry product.

Man and woman are meeting on a first date. She's sitting at a restaurant table, pretty-but-simple print dress, big smile, very cute in a girl-next-door way.

In comes the "gentleman," plops down, he's in a frigging v-neck undershirt, and the neck opening is all twisted and stretched out of shape.

"Hi," she says, "You look...casual."

Then the voiceover kicks in and says that if he'd used their laundry product, his shirt would look nice and uncrumpled, and all I can think is, "A knocked-about undershirt isn't the issue...the fact that it's an undershirt, on a first date no less, is."

It'd be much better if it were an ad for common sense pills. :laugh:

Oh yes. It's been quite the trend here for several years now. :(

And if we're talking about fashion peeves..."athleisure" wear. Just stop it already!

I wear "athleisure" wear when I work, mainly because there is nothing on them that can possibly scratch a 2-million dollar car. They are also loose fitting, so I can easily go through the contortions of getting the shots I want.

CD

Last edited:
I could cry at this instead

In which case I think I would meet with your disapproval. I'm 70 this year. :ohmy: I'm wearing an above the knee denim skirt right now with bright red over the knee socks. :D
Again, it's not the style of clothing, necessarily. It's the appropriateness. I get the impression you would look cute in that. You look cute in the few photos I've seen on the forum.

I categorize the athletic wear in somewhat different groups.

First, there're the hyperfit folks, who just have to proclaim to the world that they're so fit, even when they go grocery shopping, they simply must be adorned in the latest (hyper-expensive) gymwear - and it never looks grotty or like it's ever seen the inside of an actual gym.

That also includes folks I see out shopping in bicycle pants and skin-tight shirts...and they got there in their sports car. One day, I think I'll buy a wrestling unitard and wear that, except I'd probably start a trend.

Another group, people who mix-and-match athletic wear with proper wear. I've seen guys in a dress shirt, necktie, tailored jacket...and immaculate black Adidas workout pants...and leather dress shoes. Make up your mind!

Just keep in mind there are people who look at you, and think, "What's up with that dude?" So, perhaps a little more open mind might not be a bad thing.

Not much bothers me about other people's attire. I don't think someone who weighs in at 300 pounds should EVER wear spandex. I don't like the "ghetto" look with the pants halfway down the butt and underwear showing (even worse when a white kid in the suburbs does it).

I'm fine with gym attire worn for comfort when I see it in a grocery store. It would be inappropriate in a nice steakhouse. I think that is my primary apparel criticism -- clothing that is not appropriate for the time and place.

CD

I hope it doesn't sound snobbish but I would never go there if I had any other options in town. Then, again, it wouldn't really matter because many of my neighbors sport the same looks. LOL

Frisco is a pretty upscale suburb, so when you go to Walmart, you'll see lot's of pickup trucks, but they will be $50,000 pickup trucks (it's amazing how much a loaded pickup can cost), and you might see a few Mercedes, too. Mixed in, there are lots of old Toyotas and Hyundais. It's kind of a melting pot of classes.

So, for the most part, you rarely see anyone from those "People of Walmart" videos. BTW, I think a lot of those photos and videos are "staged." People may not be dressed up, but they will be wearing "appropriate" clothing.

CD

Doubtful. I think you would look nice in them. I just don't like when people dress inappropriately for their age, size and/or occasion. Sorry if I sounded snobbish.

Not snobbish at all. You just don't live in Texas, so the dress and customs here are foreign to you. When you travel as much as I have, you get used to "culture shock." I can go pretty much anywhere and not be too surprised by cultural norms.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom