What are you wearing today (2020-2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to do what you two did the next time I go out somewhere besides the grocery story and the pharmacy. Whenever I go anywhere these days, I think entirely of function, not style. I actually did finally get a haircut, so that's a start. But, I've found that I'm really terrible at selfies. Here's what normally happens:
  1. I see myself in the mirror, and I think, "Hey...I look good."
  2. I get my phone out, and I take a picture.
  3. I look at the picture, and realize I have a weird look on my face, so I retake the picture.
  4. I now realize I can see wrinkles that look like the Grand Canyon. Why don't they look that bad when I'm looking in the mirror?? I adjust the lighting and angle to try to get a better picture.
  5. I repeat the above steps for several minutes before I get frustrated and then give up, trying not to throw my phone across the room.
My best pictures have been taken by other people. I'm not sure why that is. I did redo my profile picture, post-haircut...it's dopey looking, but not terrible. Birthdays for my daughter and for my wife's mom are coming up, so I will have opportunities.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to do what you two did the next time I go out somewhere besides the grocery story and the pharmacy. Whenever I go anywhere these days, I think entirely of function, not style. I actually did finally get a haircut, so that's a start. But, I've found that I'm really terrible at selfies. Here's what normally happens:
  1. I see myself in the mirror, and I think, "Hey...I look good."
  2. I get my phone out, and I take a picture.
  3. I look at the picture, and realize I have a weird look on my face, so I retake the picture.
  4. I now realize I can see wrinkles that look like the Grand Canyon. Why don't they look that bad when I'm looking in the mirror?? I adjust the lighting and angle to try to get a better picture.
  5. I repeat the above steps for several minutes before I get frustrated and then give up, trying not to throw my phone across the room.
My best pictures have been taken by other people. I'm not sure why that is. I did redo my profile picture, post-haircut...it's dopey looking, but not terrible. Birthdays for my daughter and for my wife's mom are coming up, so I will have opportunities.

There is a mind trick at play. When you look at yourself in a mirror, your brain tends to see you as you think you look. But, in a 2-dimensional photo, that same filter doesn't apply itself, and you see how you really look.

Another reason I rarely photograph people (portraits). Some people will actually say, "that doesn't look like me."

CD

I'm going to have to do what you two did the next time I go out somewhere besides the grocery story and the pharmacy. Whenever I go anywhere these days, I think entirely of function, not style.
I mentioned in another post that I'm reading a book about the French "art of living," which has at its core that, as much as possible, one should invite positivity and beauty, a bit of whimsy even, into their everyday lives.

For example, even if you're just eating at home by yourself, if you plate your food in a nice way on an attractive dish, that'll make you feel a little happier, almost without noticing why, than if you just ate off a paper plate.

In the area of dressing to go out, even just to run errands, the books suggests that one can be comfortable and still be stylish, and that we all have an unwritten social mandate to look presentable when we go out in public, because not only will we feel better about ourselves, but it acknowledges that others have to look at us, and if we're dressed in wrinkly t-shirts and baggy sweatpants...well, on one wants to see that. If we dress simply but nicely, it'll also make that person's day a little brighter, even if they don't quite know why on the surface.

Last edited:
These boots are over 25 years old:

Got my nail wraps on Monday, all the way from Australia. Loving them. Never used wraps before.

Taking off is better on the nails, at least for me, as do not have to use nail polish remover,which damages my nails.

Normally I don'wear nailpolish or just a nude one while teaching, but in online, one can hardly notice...and even if, not a big deal. Helps me keep my spirit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom