What are your favourite peas?

Local time
1:51 AM
Do you often use peas in your rice, and, if so,what are your favourite peas to cook? Very seldom do I cook my rice without adding some kind of peas. My favourite peas are split peas; I find these give the rice a very nice flavour. Other favourites with me are field peas and lentils. If I cook my rice without peas, I would sometimes use kidney beans to put on the side. But there are so many things we can do with rice; it is one of the easiest meals to prepare. Lentils can also be well seasoned and used as a side dish instead of mixing them in with the rice.

So what peas do you cook with your rice more often than any other?

Green lentils, butter beans, chick peas or petit pois because i love them.

Chick peas because of their versatility would be my number one choice. I love the young/early peas, I really don't care for the bigger peas. I love the little peas when I have mashed potatoes and gravy; I make a mound of the mashed, fill it with peas and cover the whole thing with gravy.

I do not use chick peas. I really must try them some time and see if I like them. Putting peas with mashed potatoes is not something I ever considered doing. I use peas mainly with rice. If I am cooking soup, I would also add some split peas or lentils. There is also a dish that we make at Christmas time here where we would mash green peas up, add in various seasonings along with bits of ham or salt meat, and then add guinea corn flour. It makes for a lovely dish, and is a tradition here at Christmas time. So green peas tend to be the peas of choice at that time of year.

Back
Top Bottom