what can be frozen

Local time
6:16 AM
I thought I'd start this thread as im sure there are people who wonder what exactly you can and cant freeze.

Double cream
I'll start. I know you can freeze milk, but can you freeze say double cream? I like to make ice cream, but whenever I shop, there is never a very long shelf life on the double cream.

Didn't think milk could be frozen.
It breaks down the fats within and they never actually join correctly when defrosted.
What you're left with is something that will go off within the day.

It breaks down the fats within and they never actually join correctly when defrosted.

Ive known quite a few people out here who freeze milk. Never done it myself.

You are right that milk seems to "separate" when thawed from frozen and never really comes back to looking the way it originally looked.

I have friends and neighbors who swear by freezing milk and their kids drink it just the same. I only bake with it when it has been previously frozen, or make mashed potatoes or mac and cheese with it. Something about the consistency makes it seem weird and I can't bring myself to drink it. I will also steam it and add it to a latte, but that is about as far as I'll go.

I sort of took my cue from the fact that I've been freezing breastmilk for years with all my babies and it bounces back from frozen really well.

I am there with the milk. I actually did a quick search and confirmed that diary freezes 'horribly' based on one reading. Of course you can never believe everything you read online but I have never really thought to freeze milk. The other day I had some sour cream that was going pass the expiry date. I used some for cookies which left a "sour" taste in my mouth and then thought I would put the rest in the freezer. It's still there but I feel sure it won't look good for use when I tackle it again.

Garlic, cooked rice and pasta, eggs without the shell, hummus, organic peanut butter and herbs in olive oil are some of the choices I saw while I was searching for things you can freeze.

We always used to freeze milk when we lived in the Lakes because it was an awfully long way to the nearest shop to get anything. Even the weekly shop would take half a day to do with most of the time spent driving. Milk froze just fine as far as we were concerned. We just gave it a really good shake before drinking and got on with it.

Let me deviate a bit from that frozen milk. In our house, we never freeze fish. When bought from the market, the fish is cooked right away or if it is for dinner (and bought in the morning) we put the fish in the chiller. Frozen fish loses its flavor so we never do that. Even with meat, we try to avoid freezing meat of any kind so as to maintain the fresh food that is served in our kitchen. Frozen meat sometimes gives a bad taste so we avoid that.

Let me deviate a bit from that frozen milk. In our house, we never freeze fish. When bought from the market, the fish is cooked right away or if it is for dinner (and bought in the morning) we put the fish in the chiller. Frozen fish loses its flavor so we never do that. Even with meat, we try to avoid freezing meat of any kind so as to maintain the fresh food that is served in our kitchen. Frozen meat sometimes gives a bad taste so we avoid that.
I suspect that by the time fish reaches most people, the fish they are eating has lost so much of its flavour already that freezing it isn't going to make much more difference, sadly!

I suspect that by the time fish reaches most people, the fish they are eating has lost so much of its flavour already that freezing it isn't going to make much more difference, sadly!

You are right particularly the fish in the restaurant. But in fairness, there are specialty restaurants that serve fresh seafood, guaranteed fresh according to them and you can check it in the taste. However, those specialty restaurants of that kind charge very high. As they say that's the price you pay for the freshness of the food they serve.

If the freshest fish is frozen it's not so bad,it's never good when it's at the near end of being fresh then frozen,
Unless you take fish from a day boat ,you can never be that sure of how long it has been caught and kept in ice for ,
A lot of restaurants ,including some of the top Cornish fish restaurants have to resort to freezing fish in the winter down times ,as many fishermen get picky about when they fish ,especially around Xmas

Back
Top Bottom