What can I do with kidney beans?

Caffajake

Veteran
Local time
1:17 PM
Stocked up today and bought a big pack of kidney beans. What are some interesting things I can do with them? Ideas so far are chilli con carne and some kind of burrito-wrap-thing. Give me ideas! :D

For me, chili isn't chili without the kidney beans, so that was naturally my first thought. Bean salad is a nice idea as the weather gets warmer. Cool, refreshing summer snack. They also go well in soups like minestrone or a ham bone soup. In general, I'd recommend things like stews and soups. Enjoy!

Most tex-mex foods really benefit from kidney beans. So yes, some burrito-wrap-thing or nachos etc. You can also use them as a pizza topping if you want to, goes together great with minced meat for example.

A three bean salad is easy and a refreshing change from the usual mayo based stuff you see at cookouts. Something to keep in mind as the weather starts to warm up and people begin firing up their grills again. Although you can actually put them in creamy based salads too with stuff like broccoli and other veggies.

One of my favorite ways to eat them is dead simple - just sauteed with some onions, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper. I will gently saute some onions in extra virgin olive oil (seasoned with S&P) until the soften and just start to caramelize slightly, then toss in the drained and rinsed beans until they heat through and start to burst a bit - hit them with a little more sea salt and ground black pepper and that's it. If I have some fresh parsley on hand I will chop it up finely and throw that in at the end of cooking too.

Yes it is true that kidney beans gives the chili corn carne a great combination and taste. There are times that I also used it when I am cooking my pork casserole and it makes the recipe deliciously attractive and interesting to eat.

Back
Top Bottom