Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
8:58 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
I found this at the Dollar store

IMG_1696.JPG

I know that this is a popular seasoning, but I'm not familiar with Creole cooking...

Well its quite a versatile mix of spices (salt comes first!) so I suppose you could use it in loads of ways. The back of the pack says use like salt! And it contains: salt, red pepper, black pepper, chilli powder with unidentified spices and garlic powder.

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 12.16.17.png

Many folks sprinkle it over boiled crawfish after spreading them over the newspaper on the table at a boil. It is like having Old Bay cling to the crabs/shrimp after steaming. I've used it in recipes and there is always some at home.

I found this at the Dollar store

View attachment 85742

I know that this is a popular seasoning, but I'm not familiar with Creole cooking...
That's the secret ingredient to my smoked fish dip. I dry brine my fish then after I rinse the fillets and pat them dry, I season them with this stuff before going into the smoker.

Care to post your dry brine? :D
Oh that's no secret at all. Coat them in equal parts salt and brown sugar, and I leave them on a tray in the fridge for at least 4 hrs. That worked well with Spanish Mackerel. Been a while since I've smoked a Kingfish, maybe I would leave that in the fridge overnight.

Hmmm 🤔 I've been saying that I'm going to make Smoked Salmon again for DH, that sounds like a plan FowlersFreeTime ... or do you think it might be too over powering for Salmon?
"Smoked salmon" is usually a lighter affair with indirect cold smoke and less seasoning, but if you use this and smoke it over direct heat, it will be more like bbq salmon. Who knows, you might like it! My sister in law does a spicy grilled maple salmon, so yeah salmon can take some spice as long as you like it.

Back
Top Bottom