What can you do with cottage cheese?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:51 PM
Don't buy it in the first place, some might say! By cottage cheese I mean the low fat, very mild tasting cheese that comes in a plastic tub from the supermarket:

1594569287109.png

I think cottage cheese is very versatile, though I don't know about the low-fat stuff. I get the full-fat "country style" kind.

MrsTasty will eat it with a big dose of black pepper. I use it to make a breakfast pizza of sorts; a mix of mozzarella and cottage cheeses, bacon, some herbs, and cracked eggs on top:

What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

I think cottage cheese is very versatile, though I don't know about the low-fat stuff. I get the full-fat "country style" kind.

MrsTasty will eat it with a big dose of black pepper. I use it to make a breakfast pizza of sorts; a mix of mozzarella and cottage cheeses, bacon, some herbs, and cracked eggs on top:

What did you cook or eat today (August 2019)?

I actually remember that pizza I liked it so much!

I buy it once in a very, very great while, but eat it as is with peaches or pineapple. I will not use it as a sub for ricotta, but, as mentioned previously, lots do.

I buy it once in a very, very great while, but eat it as is with peaches or pineapple. I will not use it as a sub for ricotta, but, as mentioned previously, lots do.

Here you can buy it with pineapple bits in it which is actually rather good.

I eat it with ketchup and pepper... left over habit from budget strapped college days 🙃😊

Had an aunt who used it along with ricotta in lasagna. Layer of pasta, layer of ricotta, layer of meat sauce, layer of pasta, layer of cottage cheese, layer of meat sauce till the pan was full. Top layer was meat sauce with mozzarella on top.

I eat it with ketchup and pepper... left over habit from budget strapped college days 🙃😊

Had an aunt who used it along with ricotta in lasagna. Layer of pasta, layer of ricotta, layer of meat sauce, layer of pasta, layer of cottage cheese, layer of meat sauce till the pan was full. Top layer was meat sauce with mozzarella on top.
Most supermarket ricotta, even the whole milk stuff, is a bit grainy (here, anyway). I think the cottage cheese helps even that out a bit.

Of course, ricotta is easy enough to do at home, so that may be a better solution. :)

Back
Top Bottom