What commercially available products will you never purchase again because your homemade version is so much better?

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
6:04 PM
My list
Hummus
Tartar Sauce
Blue Cheese Dressing/Dip
Cake Mix
Cake Frosting
Cookie Dough - mix or ready to bake.
I will probably think of others.

Probably tomato/pasta sauce. It's so easy to make.

I also make some things at home that I used to buy, because everything commercially produced has way to much sodium, which I can no longer indulge in. Cooking at home, I can control how much salt goes into the food.

CD

I'm going to be a right smart ass but it's true Olive Oil, my favorite BIL has a lot of trees in Gdin on Hvar, our contribution to " your homemade" is Mrs Blank helping to pick them as I snore under a tree. The first press is so fragrant.

1.Bread
2.Mayonnaise - I’ve learnt also how to make the version by using “aquafaba” - the liquid of tinned chickpeas.
3.Black Olives spread
4.And this might sounds a bit odd: breadcrumbs

Breadcrumbs I buy at the supermarket (whatever is the brand) is too much powdered, looks like sand.
I love to make mine because I can use homemade bread (when I make it) or taralli, crackers I know where they come from, I can get the consistence I prefer/need - coarse, less coarse, powder - flavour it by adding aromatic herbs while I’m blending.

My list
Hummus
Tartar Sauce
Blue Cheese Dressing/Dip
Cake Mix
Cake Frosting
Cookie Dough - mix or ready to bake.
I will probably think of others.

If you are going to buy cookie dough, why not just buy the cookies. The one thing I bake is some killer chocolate chip pecan cookies. I don't make them often, because I'll eat a dozen of them while I'm baking the rest.

CD

Hummus
Tomato sauce
Garlic sauce
Satay sauce
Bearnaise sauce
Bechamel sauce
Hollandaise sauce
Pesto
Curry paste
Cake and cupcakes
Tarts and pastries
Cookies and biscuits
Pizza's
Soups
Jam/marmelade
Chutneys
Lemon/lime curd
Apple sauce / compote
Guacamole
Fudge
Caramel
Milkshakes
Ice cream pops
Puddings
Veggie burgers
Meatballs
Hamburgers
Latkes

Last edited:
It's too long a list, but any of that boxed dehydrated stuff, like scalloped potatoes, dehydrated soups, etc.

Of course, there are always exceptions, like ramen/pot noodle. :)

Yeah, I also make my own pesto, not only the genoese one.
What is red sauce?
"Red sauce" is just a generalization for any tomato-based sauce. Some restaurants here will offer pasta with "red sauce," or "white sauce," as opposed to getting too specific and saying marinara or alfredo.

So...pizza sauce, pasta sauce, I nearly always make my own.

"Red sauce" is just a generalization for any tomato-based sauce. Some restaurants here will offer pasta with "red sauce," or "white sauce," as opposed to getting too specific and saying marinara or alfredo.

Ah ok, got it, thank you :)

I make "red sauce" without tomatoes. In SW, Tex-Mex and Mexican, most "red sauce" is made from dried chilis. I make my own chili sauces, red or green.

I make Gingerbread
Apple crumble
Brownies
Gluten free Pancakes
Any cakes or frosting etc myself as I like mine better.

I make most other things but just because it's cheaper & easier for batch cooking.

I never buy castor sugar or icing as its so expensive compared to granulated sugar.
So I just buy granulated in bulk & make caster sugar & icing.
As I make alot of cakes I save so much this way.
I make homemade milks but just because shop ones are full of fillers etc.

I also make any treats or grain free cakes for my dog.
I know my dog biscuits are ok 😂 because I made my mil a big batch 1 Christmas & she put them in her kitchen cupboard & when she went in the kitchen later on she asked my bil what he was eating & he said biscuits so she said they were for the dog 🙈.

Back
Top Bottom