What cooking magazine do you read?

cookieee

Local time
11:53 AM
Do you subscribe or buy any cooking magazines. If so, which ones and what do you think of them?

Not big on mags here, I buy classic car or V8 mags. Nothing else. My wife does though, she rips out anything she likes the look of. I review it and file or bin it. She mainly gets woman's day or something like that.

Russ

Free subscription (well free to me because I exchanged Tesco vouchers for it) to Good Food magazine. Its very good although a lot of recipes tend to be a bit easy for me. I guess they have to cater for non-experienced cooks. They always have vegan & vegetarian friendly recipes, and lots of food photos. I find the news items and in depth food articles the most interesting aspect.

We get several, "Taste of Home", "Food Network, Food and Wine and online "Chile Pepper. Some times the recipes look interesting and we've made them. We used to get "Bon Appetite", until the recipe pages shrank to 1/2 a page.

I really should stop buying food magazines - the amount of times I drool ( :hyper: ) like the clappers and nearly end up saying: "Clean-up in Aisle no 5 (or whatever)"...! :D

None anymore. We were getting several, but they just kept piling up, and one day, I realized I still had literally hundreds of recipes in cookbooks I'd never gotten to, and before I brought in more stuff, I should work through what I already have.

At one time, though, it was:

Cook's Illustrated
Midwest Living
Taste Of Home

Those were subscription, and then I'd pick up whatever looked good at the supermarket.

Today, thanks to the internet, I still have hundreds of recipes in my cookbooks that I haven't tried yet.

None anymore. We were getting several, but they just kept piling up, and one day, I realized I still had literally hundreds of recipes in cookbooks I'd never gotten to, and before I brought in more stuff, I should work through what I already have.

At one time, though, it was:

Cook's Illustrated
Midwest Living
Taste Of Home

Those were subscription, and then I'd pick up whatever looked good at the supermarket.

Today, thanks to the internet, I still have hundreds of recipes in my cookbooks that I haven't tried yet.

That's where The Cookbook Game #2 comes in!

That's where The Cookbook Game #2 comes in!
Whatever the opposite of a hoarder is, that's what I am. I can't abide clutter, and if something goes for what I think is an appropriate amount of time and doesn't get used, out it goes.

A few years ago, I had maybe 30-35 cookbooks and boxes of magazines, and I'd had entire books I'd never even opened, and it just weighed and weighed and weighed on me until I finally got rid of all the magazines and over half the cookbooks.

Now I'm down to 14 cookbooks and a slim folder of magazine recipes, and I'm already eyeing those for a further reduction.

I subscribed to Food Network magazine for a year. It was interesting reading, and I did get some good ideas from it (particularly some cookie recipes around Christmas). But, as with many magazines, I don't have much time to read. And, as time goes by, I have started using recipes I read as more of a resource to be mined for my own recipes. That, and I don't cook on any sort of schedule, so someone showing me their summer salad ideas isn't going to make me go out and buy a bunch of vegetables. And, as @TastyReuben said, I can look at the Internet for ideas whenever I want, and they're customized to whatever culinary mood I happen to be in at the time.

I have been subscribing to cooking magazines for quite a few years. Happy to say, we have had many, many delicious meals from them. Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Gourmet, Southern Living were some of the earlier ones. I now receive, All Recipes, Rachael Ray Everyday, Taste of Home, and the only one I probably will renew, Food Network. I enjoy all the other fun stuff in it besides just the recipes. Every issue they have a little booklet with "50........" recipes for all kinds of different things. Like July was "50 Ice Cream Toppings". Oh MG, sounds like another fun idea for a game. lol

the only one I probably will renew, Food Network. I enjoy all the other fun stuff in it besides just the recipes. Every issue they have a little booklet with "50........" recipes for all kinds of different things. Like July was "50 Ice Cream Toppings". Oh MG, sounds like another fun idea for a game. lol
That is a fun part of the magazine. I remember they've had these correspond to the different states for things like bagels.

I only ever subscribed to one cooking magazine, many decades ago. But they then cancelled it and transferred my subscription from the BBC GoodFood Vegetarian Magazine to the general one with meat/fish and the likes in it. I wasn't interested in paying more for a magazine that had considerably less content in it in those days. I cancelled the subscription before it had run the year out. I've not ever had one since.

I used to get the Food Network magazine, but they pile up , & since they've killed all of the regular 1/2- hour cooking shows & have clogged the network with all those damn challenge shows, I've stopped reading it!! :ohmy::mad::stop::headshake:

I used to get the Food Network magazine, but they pile up , & since they've killed all of the regular 1/2- hour cooking shows & have clogged the network with all those damn challenge shows, I've stopped reading it!! :ohmy::mad::stop::headshake:
Hi, I don't have the channel with what you are talking about. On regular TV I watch PBS Create. All the top chefs are still there. Can't you get them where you live?

Hi, I don't have the channel with what you are talking about. On regular TV I watch PBS Create. All the top chefs are still there. Can't you get them where you live?

I don't have cable TV, but I plan to get it soon. Some of the shows can be seen on Amazon Fire Stick on Hulu. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom