What Cuisines/Dishes Are You Not Willing to Try?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
4:13 PM
Medtran and I are pretty adventurous eaters, as I believe most here are. Is there something that just turns you off. Icelandic Hakarl is not something I would be willing to try, I understand that the ammonia smell is horrid.

Well, any fish/seafood for a start. Also, that boneless baby chicken thing, right out of shell, not eating that.

Nothing endangered, not eating a dog. Other than that, it's just based on the dish at the moment, how it smells, how it looks, what's in it, that sort of thing. No bugs.

There are plenty of things I don't like, such as avocado, kale, cooked greens, fungi, etc.

Probably unlike a lot of people here, my initial thought when I see a new food/dish is, "Do I have a reason to try this?" versus "Do I have a reason not to try this?" - IOW, I need a reason beyond, "Oh that's something I haven't had" in order to try something new. It has to look good, or smell good, or have something other than "you've not had me before" going for it.

I have eaten most thing put in front of me. I even ate some type of flying insect in the Namib desert. When they are about to fly the locals put a net over the exit hole, catch them and roast them. Some went bonkers and ate them raw.
A distinct no no for me is pigs blood sausage.

I could go on and on forever. I'm a very picky eater. I became less picky as I grew up when I moved out and started cooking for myself but I'm still picky.

I have a huge issue with fruit. As a child I hated fruit and my dad forced me to eat fruit - forced as in opening up my mouth and throwing pieces of orange, watermelon, avocado, etc into my mouth. I could only leave the table once I ate said piece of fruit. Legend has it we stayed at the dinner table for hours while I cried and tried not to swallow an orange slice. So I grew up hating fruit. I only eat apples (I don't even like them, I tolerate them) and tomatoes.

Other than that I hate chinese food (my chinese family would disapprove of this), can't stand sushi and just the smell of soy sauce makes me nauseous. Milk also makes me nauseous but yogurts I can tolerate.

Well, any fish/seafood for a start. Also, that boneless baby chicken thing, right out of shell, not eating that.

Nothing endangered, not eating a dog. Other than that, it's just based on the dish at the moment, how it smells, how it looks, what's in it, that sort of thing. No bugs.

There are plenty of things I don't like, such as avocado, kale, cooked greens, fungi, etc.

Probably unlike a lot of people here, my initial thought when I see a new food/dish is, "Do I have a reason to try this?" versus "Do I have a reason not to try this?" - IOW, I need a reason beyond, "Oh that's something I haven't had" in order to try something new. It has to look good, or smell good, or have something other than "you've not had me before" going for it.

From the dishes you've posted, you seem to prefer Americanized versions of other cuisines, except for English and German. Have you ever tried Thai?

I don't have a particular cuisine or dish that I think I wouldn't go near, my nature is curious and I think that not having problems eating a little bit of everything, curiosity helps me a lot in this.
The only thing I can say is that I am particularly attentive to hygiene and I would be with my guard up eating fish/meat/vegetables cooked in visibly precarious places (this applies to every country, including mine, of course).

There isn't a cuisine that I wouldn't try on principle, but for me, things start to look unappealing in Germany, then get progressively worse moving east or north.

From the dishes you've posted, you seem to prefer Americanized versions of other cuisines, except for English and German. Have you ever tried Thai?
Americanized Thai, as in the Pad Thai that's served here, yes. I like that, though when I make it at home, I leave the peanuts out. I don't like peanuts in savory things, normally.

I don't know...it's just a weird thing with me, as I'd generally say that I'm open to a lot of things, but I'd only know at the moment of presentation, as part of it is mood-based as well. If I'm somewhere having a good time, and someone plops down a plate full of this or that, I might try it, but if the same thing happened two days later, I might say, "Get that crap away from me!"

Same. If I'm cooking at home and I have control over the ingredients I will experiment, outside of that, no way.
That's another great point. There are things I've made at home, based purely on seeing the ingredients list, that I never would have tried first in a restaurant.

Ah no, there is one dish I am not willing to try. I'll apologize to those who love it, but not the pineapple pizza. OMG no.
Or pizza or pineapple, never together.
:hug: :roflmao::woot::highfive:

That's another great point. There are things I've made at home, based purely on seeing the ingredients list, that I never would have tried first in a restaurant.
I'm just the opposite! There are things I have tried and liked when eating out that I would probably never have bothered cooking at home, based on the ingredients.

A distinct no no for me is pigs blood sausage.

This surprised me. What is the issue. Black pudding... you like that. Or am I missing a joke here. Very probably as I'm not my usual self and barely cooking.

I'll try most things and I would definitely try the Icelandic Hakari. Not sure I could eat a tarantula though. It could depen on how much you were prepared to pay me. I posted a clip of Gordon Ramsay doing eating a tarantula a while back.

Back
Top Bottom