What did you cook, eat or drink today (February 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:25 PM
Simply tell us what you cooked, ate or drank today. We love to know! Photos are appreciated but not at all necessary.

Butter chicken from wife's work, chef is an amateur at cookin indian. I gave it 1/10 filling, but that's all, no curry taste or anything. Cat got the rest of the chicken after I washed it. Btw it's not my cat,lol.

Russ

Snowy day here today...and still snowing. Stelline in meat broth I would say it's perfect to warm me up. And baked potatoes sprinkled with Coolea cheese follow. Meat broth preparation.jpg Meat broth 1 hour and half later.jpg Stelline in brodo.jpg

Last edited:
Stelline in meat broth I would say it's perfect. And baked potatoes sprinkled with Coolea cheese follow

The stelline in brodo look wonderful, as do the potatoes. I've never heard of Coolea cheese - it looks like a good grating cheese. I've just Googled it and it's described as like a Gouda. Made either in Ireland or Germany - I guess my chances of finding it here are slim...

A great lunch! I've just eaten but I'm hungry again looking at your photos.

The stelline in brodo look wonderful, as do the potatoes. I've never heard of Coolea cheese - it looks like a good grating cheese. I've just Googled it and it's described as like a Gouda. Made either in Ireland or Germany - I guess my chances of finding it here are slim...

A great lunch! I've just eaten but I'm hungry again looking at your photos.

Thank you @Wandering Bob, always kind.
Coolea cheese is a new discovery for me and I'm really satisfied. A very good cheese and I added a little even to the Stelline in brodo, a perfect combo.
Maybe you could take it with you in the bottle during your bike rides.
I hope in any case that you can find this cheese somewhere because it's really worth it.

Garlic Soup - one head of garlic per portion with truffle oil and a little thyme sprinkled:
Recipe, please! Did you roast the garlic before incorporating in the soup? And, is that one head per bowl, or one head per pot? If you roast the garlic, then one per bowl would be what I'd want to do, though I suspect I'd be quarantined from the rest of the family for a while after that. :laugh:

Our dinner was fantastic. Our new find lived up to my expectations and exceeded them. Expensive, but worth the splurge from time to time. I didn't take pictures. We were so excited when we got our appy plates that I didn't even think about it until we had destroyed them dividing them up. I did manage to take a picture of the wine bottle label. Didn't recognize a single bottle on the wine list, but the 1 we got was great so want to try to find it.

Carpaccio de pulpo. The octopus was so tender you could cut it with a fork. I made a guess on how it was prepared and asked. Got pretty close. Marinated, rolled, compacted into a tight roulade, then cooked sous vide, sliced about 1/4 inch thick, served with a lightly dressed arugula salad, with olives, capers and some kind of tiny lightly pickled veges. They were red, yellow, and orange, very sweet. Maybe just formed sweet peppers? I mean TINY, like half the size of a dime.

Second appy was Burrata e Bresaola della Valtellina. Same type of salad.

Craig had Gnocchi alla Sorrentina. Lovely light little clouds. No lead sinkers here. Topped with buffalo moz. Sauce was made with grape tomatoes, so was nicely balanced, not sweet, not acidy.

I had Ravioli di Cinghiale al Burro e Timo, wild boar filled ravioli in a butter thyme sauce. Rich is all I can say.

We traded bites of the gnocchi and pasta, as well as dessert, which was tiramisu and zabaglione, with espresso. The tiramisu was good (I do like mine better though, but I've tinkered with that to get it perfect for us.) but the zabaglione was fantastic! Complimentary small glasses of limoncelli after.

There were a couple of main courses we both wanted to try, but we were stuffed.

Last edited:
Chicken kebabs with red onion and yella capsicum, these flavours all go well together. Brown rice, I don't like but it was the quickest. Home made satay sauce. Really nice easy meal.

Russ

Pickled onions, I'll put a pic up of mine so you can see the curried onions I make. I make about 40 to 60 kgs a year.

I used to make pickled onions regularly but there has been a shortage of small white or red onions here over the last few years (and pickled shallots are not the same).

A few years ago, a young Australian guy called around and caught four of us (one Ozzie, one Dutch, a Belgian and me) dipping in to a large jar of pickled onions. He was aghast that we were eating what to him were raw onions. Eventually he was persuaded to try one and was converted.

I pickle them with black peppercorns, garlic and slotted fresh chillis, nothing else.

pickling onions s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom