What did you cook or eat today, (January 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
20190110_172401.jpg

Your gravy looks really light in colour. Country thing??? Ours is dark brown and really thick. I use Vegemite in mine as well. Turkey looks amazing, I thought it was chicken.

Russ

A lot of traditional American gravy is light coloured - I was surprised too, when I first learned about it because in the UK gravy is always a dark affair. If you image Google 'biscuits and gravy' and you will see (the biscuits are not like UK biscuits but more like savoury scones in UK terms). The gravy is more like what in the UK we would call a savoury white sauce:

f843e08f133358ff2a80faeddb6feb0b.jpg

A lot of traditional American gravy is light coloured - I was surprised too, when I first learned about it because in the UK gravy is always a dark affair. If you image Google 'biscuits and gravy' and you will see (the biscuits are not like UK biscuits but more like savoury scones in UK terms). The gravy is more like what in the UK we would call a savoury white sauce:

View attachment 21735
Exactly the way I knew as well. Nothing better than a Yorky pud and thick dark gravy.

Russ

The 17th in my series of Winter Breads has thrown up another keeper.... 'pane di principessa'. A light loaf with a hint of rye, a crust scented with a delicate chestnut flavour, and a crumb enhanced by the inclusion of sunflower, pumpkin & lin seeds.

A bit more information here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/a-winter-bread.13768/page-3#post-140209

I made it again today because I was so bowled over by the one that I made on Wednesday. It's versatile - I've eaten it for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and I still haven't put any weight on) and so, so flavoursome.

I ate some of Wednesday's as a starter this evening with EVOO, tomatoes and black olives...

Principessa, EVOO, olives & tomatoes.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom