What did you cook/eat today (October 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:12 AM
Each month, we start a new thread called "What did you cook/eat today?" Tell what you have cooked or eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have prepared and/or eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to also cover any meal or snack that you have eaten during the day. And we love photos!

Last edited:
Pepperoni and chili pizza.

pepperoni and chili 0 s.jpg

I read on the internet that kitchen scissors were ideal for cutting pizzas. OK, but I'll stick to my pizza cutter in future.

pepperoni and chili 2 s.jpg

We were due to eat out today, a harvest lunch at the village hall, but illness forced a change of plan. Mrs. E. has had a particularly nasty cold for a few days, and I have now contracted the even more virulent man-flu strain which we thought unfair to share with the rest of the village, many of whom are elderly. So, inspired by @morning glory's lamb hotpot recipe, I decided to slow cook some lamb shanks, including her inspired ingredients - kidneys and black pudding. Fried off the meat, onions, carrots and celery, covered in red wine and stock, added bay leaves, peppercorns, fresh rosemary, and placed in oven on a low heat. It's been going for two hours so far, another couple to go before it's dished up with creamy, buttery garlic mash and steamed broccoli. Proper comfort food :hungry:

We were due to eat out today, a harvest lunch at the village hall, but illness forced a change of plan. Mrs. E. has had a particularly nasty cold for a few days, and I have now contracted the even more virulent man-flu strain which we thought unfair to share with the rest of the village, many of whom are elderly. So, inspired by @morning glory's lamb hotpot recipe, I decided to slow cook some lamb shanks, including her inspired ingredients - kidneys and black pudding. Fried off the meat, onions, carrots and celery, covered in red wine and stock, added bay leaves, peppercorns, fresh rosemary, and placed in oven on a low heat. It's been going for two hours so far, another couple to go before it's dished up with creamy, buttery garlic mash and steamed broccoli. Proper comfort food :hungry:

That is just bound to be delicious - lamb shanks cooked low and slow with creamy mash. :hungry:

FISHOFFBOAT20140531_094448.jpg

The fish that we purchased at Vieux Port - Marseille that was going into an ice chest for the trip to Cadaques ..
On our family boat, heading back from Southern France to Spain .. Assorted shellfish and seafood ..

Last edited:
This evening's meal is one of mixed emotions. Beef stew and dumplings, one of my life long favourites, so warming and comforting, it makes me very happy. Today's is the first of the season, so is particularly welcome, like a long lost friend. However, its arrival also means that summer is over and a dark, cold winter lies ahead, with the first bluebells and daffodils nearly half a year away.

20171001_174506.jpg

This evening's meal is one of mixed emotions. Beef stew and dumplings, one of my life long favourites, so warming and comforting, it makes me very happy. Today's is the first of the season, so is particularly welcome, like a long lost friend. However, its arrival also means that summer is over and a dark, cold winter lies ahead, with the first bluebells and daffodils nearly half a year away.

View attachment 10717

It was extremely :hungry:

I've been away for the weekend, I took my teen away for some mother daughter time.

We ate 2 picnic lunches ingorgeius surrounds.

Cheese - we took provolone dolci, a soft mild blue Brie & a herbed goats cheese

Fruit - blueberries, cherry tomato & dried figs

Antipasto- olives, sun dried toms, artichoke hearts, chargrilled capsicum & pickled chilies plus some spicy salami.

IMG_7081.JPG

A bit of a random mix of our favourite a that travel well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been away for the weekend, I took my teen away for some mother daughter time.

We ate 2 picnic lunches ingorgeius surrounds.

Cheese - we took provolone dolci, a soft mild blue Brie & a herbed goats cheese

Fruit - blueberries, cherry tomato & dried figs

Antipasto- olives, sun dried toms, artichoke hearts, chargrilled capsicum & pickled chilies plus some spicy salami.

View attachment 10722

A bit of a random mix of our favourite a that travel well.

A lovely plate indeed!

I don't think its just vegans that use plant milk. There are a lot of (faddy?) people who don't eat dairy. But the truth is, that plant milk (particularly the ones made from nuts) do taste delicious. I also use almond milk also because its much much lower in calories than cow's milk and I'm on a permanent diet! I don't know if you would like it or not - but in a sauce you really can't tell the difference.
I have tried unsweetened soya milk - it was disgusting! And it left a film on my tea! No thank you. I prefer my organic whole milk from the farm with its 4 1/2% cream (that from the milkman is only 4%, and I can tell the difference even when it is given a good shake). I even take a bottle of milk with me to my daughter's as she can only have lactose-free milk, and the rest of her family drink that vile homogenised stuff. I did have some lactose-free cream though, the last time I was there. No problem with that in small quantities, although one of the main sites does recommend that you only have lactose-free if you really need it.

Catching up time again! Saturday night's dinner was penne in home made tomato sauce with a couple of boiled eggs for the extra protein.

Penne and eggs with tomato sauce.jpg

Sunday's dinner was a large pot of vegetable soup (onions, carrots, French beans, pointy white cabbage, and sweet red peppers cooked in plain filtered water.) with a large chunk of soft half-and-half bread. There was absolutely no flavourings in the soup, not even salt and pepper, and it tasted gorgeous.

Simple vegetable soup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom