What did you cook/eat today (January 2020)?

Tonight is cauliflower cheese - which in this case is large florets of cauliflower roasted in thyme & a little olive oil until slightly charred. Then a bechamel sauce with Gruyere and Parmesan poured over. Salted capers and crumbled fried bacon & chilli sprinkled over the top. Last time I made this it was a vegan version with toasted almonds and seeds in place of bacon and a vegan 'cheese' sauce. I need to write up that recipe! Here is the vegan version I made which looks very similar to tonight's.

The little bar and grill just a couple of miles from me does a special on Fridays, half-slab of baby back ribs and two sides (and bread) for $13US.

The place is under new ownership, so we try to help them out getting started. That's what we had: ribs, green beans, a salad, and a crusty roll.

It was ok, but nothing noteworthy. They also do ribeye steaks on special on Saturdays. We may try that next time.

Anything but cooking! No way was the cooker being used when by 7am It was already over 30°C. So it was sandwiches for lunch and evening meal was the last of the sweet and sour red cabbage and beetroot soup served with Edmame beans and IKEA veggie balls zapped in the microwave. Tomorrow I have to come up with something else. I think it could be one of the avocado base soups that requires no cooking whatsoever. We'll see. I'm pretty sure that it also needed an orange and I don't recall seeing one in the fruit bowl. I'll have to check.

It was very nice, the British "spag bol" is a well loved dish, but I'm sure there isn't a nonna in the whole of Italy that would recognise it as something they would prepare.

It was very nice, so that’s enough.
About nonne, give them a big glass of wine and they won’t even recognise themselves 😝

Back
Top Bottom