What did you cook today? (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smlewis00

Veteran
Local time
4:38 AM
I put a roast, potato and carrots in the crock pot before we left for church this morning. My house smells wonderful and I'm sure my dinner will be delicious! I also plan to make turtle brownies for dessert!
I absolutely love using my crock pot! It is so easy to use!

I didn't cook anything overly special today, since I went to the gym after work and only got home at 8pm. I grilled a steak, made a white Gorgonzola dressing to go with it, and washed and chopped some lettuce to eat with the steak. That was it. I have been having a lot of proteins lately because I'm on the Dukan Diet. So I have been making a lot of steak, chicken, fish and eggs. It gets boring after a while, hence the Gorgonzola dressing.

Last night and tonight was homemade pizza... handmade dough, pasatta with basil, thyme, rosemary, garlic, tomato concentrate & a touch of sugar, then simply mushrooms, onions & olive oil...
No pictures - it did not survive long enough :D

It's a cold, wet, rainy day today. This kind of weather makes me want something warm and filling! So for dinner tonight, I have a pot of chili that has been slow cooking in the crock pot for the better part of the day. I am very excited for dinner! It smells yummy here! :)
For those in my family who do not want to eat chili for dinner, I have leftover pizza from last night's super bowl party. :)
I also plan to make a pan of turtle brownies for dessert! Mmm! I can't wait!

Today was a lazy day... I just had boiled eggs at night, and at lunch I ate at my work's restaurant. The food there was pretty good, I had steamed carrots with chicken in a delicious cheese white sauce.

I must admit, it wasn't I that did the cooking, but we had a very yummy meal all the same. My wife actually found an awesome recipe for "shells and cheese lasagna"; it was every bit as good as they said it would be. I think it was better than the traditional way we usually eat the dish and we all had seconds. If you want to try something new that is very easy to prepare, check into this tasty dish!!

Today I cooked a soy based soup...which consists of soybean paste, tofu, mushroom, garlic, onion leeks, green pepper, salt, sesame seeds and sesame oil to taste. just boil all of these together and this is gonna be an appetizing and a healthy soup.

For tonights dinner I am making cheese ravioli in a garlic tomato sauce with some homemade fresh garlic bread on the side. Just typing this to you made my mouth water and I'm can't wait till I get out of work and get started on it!

A vegan Malaysian dish Laksa Lemak... it is very very easy to make and very nice, but not something to have too often due to the high fat content from the coconut milk... but I'm off cycling 42 miles tomorrow so I'm not too worried about it tonight. Served with noodles, made with spinach and onions (not shallots) tonight.

LaksaLamakHeader.jpg

(picture and recipe links to Demuth's restaurant website)

Last edited:
Tonight, I am make my quick and easy black bean chili. I usually make cook the black beans, but I didn't prepare so I will be using organic canned black beans. Two cans of black bean, a can of organic corn, fresh pico de gallo, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. It takes less than 30 minutes to cook.

Made some chili yesterday.... mmmm. And today it's going to be the mix everything I can find day.. potatoes, some meat, frozen veggies etc... dice all of that and throw it on a frying pan. This way I'll clear the fridge before going shopping tomorrow.

I cooked chicken masala rice today and that fits my whole day's meal. With it an add-on of curd with onions richly drenched in it will make a perfect combo.

Today I made myself some special fried rice. I put lots of tasty ingredients in such as bacon, prawns, chicken and egg. Not very healthy but a tasty treat for my off-day:)

Indian again tonight... but one of my homemade, sort of by a recipe but not quite ones...loads and loads of spices in this one, though not as many as some of my recipes... It's meant to be black-eyed beans with aubergine only I didn't have enough black-eyed beans and I don't have any aubergine. On the brighter side I have all the spices... so it is more of a red kidney bean & black-eyed bean mix with orange peppers and broccoli (which will go in just before serving).

Recipe.... 1tbsp cumin seeds, 1tbsp coriander seeds, 1tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds, 1 cinnamon stick & 50g grated fresh coconut, all roasted til lightly brown, cooled and then ground in a coffee grinder (reserved solely for spices). then heat 1tbsp oil, when hot, add the 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds, 4 red dried chillies and a large pinch of asafoetida. When popping, add a handful of curry leaves, 1tbsp fresh grated ginger & 4 crushed cloves of garlic, cook for a few mins, add the chopped onions (2 onions) and cook til soft, add the (in theory aubergine but in this case) orange pepper diced and cook for a few more mins. Add the cooked black-eyed beans & cooked red kidney beans, the spice mix from above, 2 tins chopped tomatoes and enough water to cover. Simmer for around 15 mins, add the broccoli (in this case - not in the original recipe but I'm freelancing) and cook until broccoli is bright green. Add some chopped fresh coriander and season, then serve over rice (or you could serve of potatoes, pasta, or even (UK) chips - it works really well over chips!)...

We had Fish and eggplant cooked with coconut milk. It's very milky and creamy, which results into a very flavorful dish. Everyone in the family loves it and we'd definitely cook this up again sometime this month.

I'm a Filipino, so it's common for our family to eat these kind of dishes with rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom