What did you cook today (November 2016)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:26 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Mod Edit: Each Month, we will start a new thread called "What did you cook/eat today?"
It is for you write up what you have cooked or eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have prepared and eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to also cover any meal or snack that you have eaten during the day.

It is not for the recipe, that can be written up separately if you want to (which would be great) and if you have a picture/photo, not matter what the quality, of your plate of food, that would be fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I will start off with my breakfast cereal for today. I have been on the hunt for something slightly different to my usual porridge just for a change, but find most things way too sweet so given that this cereal was on offer in the supermarket as a promotion, I thought I would try it.

i quit sugar granola.jpg

It's OK. I think I will mix 2 of them tbh. I find this one has slightly too much oats and puffed rice (?) and I could do that with my own porridge and have even less sugar!

So I will add in the other that was bought that day (which was a topper) and have a mix I think. But that was my breakfast, I Quit Sugar Granola, Almonds, Coconut & Cinnamon served with Original Almond milk, and a homemade almond milk latte.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cook all the time, every day - unless I'm away in a hotel. But a lot of it isn't for me at all so I don't eat it!. I cook for my vegetarian daughter, sometimes separately and I also make recipes to experiment and post here. :D

But I suppose, arguably, you could say I do eat the things I cook each day because I taste, taste and taste when I'm cooking!

Last edited:
Tonight I cooked a pie
Its funny for me to read that, when you have only posted it 53 minutes ago and I have yet to even have elevenses let alone dinner!... Its mid morning here (well 10:30am!)

But I thought it could be extended to include what you have eaten. I am the same (breakfast being the exception mostly). Most things are prepared at home and eaten. Not always cooked - dinner won't be cooked but it will be prepared... so why not include lunches. They are always a problem for people and people want ideas...

yesterday was pumpkin puree chocolate chip cookies, only whilst they were OK and edible, I encountered a few issues with the making of them. Firstly was my homemade coconut flour. It had the skin on it when I made the coconut milk, and as such was possibly not the right quantity, weight or type. And whilst it passed through a sieve without issues, I am not sure it was as ground as it needed to have been. Coconut meal which is what it was, is coconut flour. Secondly and possibly more critically, was the coconut sugar. It was listed as a wet ingredient and somehow was meant to mix with coconut oil, pumpkin puree (also made with the skin on from a butternut squash) and maple syrup. Now my coconut sugar also contains cane sugar looking at the ingredients and comes in a cylinder type shape about 1.5cm in depth and around 5cm diameter. It is solid. It works just fine for making a very delicious custard with and dissolves superbly in places where I have used it instead of jaggery (such as my indian dishes with tamarind in them or any with tomatoes) but there was no way it was going to mix in with those ingredients. So I heated it up in the microwave to see if I could melt it a touch... It mostly worked but I have to confess that around the edges there was a delightful coconut toffee.. (licks lips) that was never going to mix in with the oil, maple syrup and pumpkin puree. So... the final product was edible but did not resemble the picture of what it should have been like in the slightest. :whistling:

IMG_6094_600.JPG

This is what mine looked like. Mine made 12.

cookie.jpg

This is what they should have looked like! they are meant to make 16-24!

I think I will try this one next. Maybe later on in the week. http://www.honestlynourished.com/vegan-grain-free-double-dark-chocolate-chickpea-cookies/ though I have just found another chocolate chip cookie recipe that used chickpeas, so it could well be that one. I prefer 'single' chocolate to 'double' chocolate cookies.

I had visitors around most of the afternoon and my wife was queueing in the hospital for some blood tests (an all day job) so I did not get around to preparing anything. So it will be khow phad kai (egg fried rice) from the fat lady's restaurant. I would have chosen khow phad gai (which is chicken fried rice) but they insist on leaving the chicken skin on.

Today I cooked some hard-boiled eggs and submerged them (peeled) in dark soy sauce for 30 mins. Quite delicious! They turn mahogany brown and take on a lovely savoury taste. No photos as my partner promptly gobbled them up in a sandwich with cress and Dijon!

I'll try to do some more tomorrow to photograph.

Today will be slow cooked pork chops in a mushroom sauce with fresh mushrooms added.

Today it was simply Quorn burgers with chips. My daughter loves them. I made them with melted cheese on top and put them in a burger bun with a slice of gherkin, tomato sauce, mayo. Served with a watercress, heritage tomatoes, red onion and dill salad with balsamic dressing (that was the best bit!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom