What did you learn about cooking today?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:01 AM
Given the same interest in cooking as so many other members on CookingBites, I decided to start this thread to allow members to present and discuss what they have learned (that is new to them) about cooking.

Today I have learned something about Wild Yeast and Sour Dough Starters. I have been aware that there is a product called Sour Dough Yeast. What I didn't know is that it is about next to worthless without understanding the concept of a Sour Dough Starter.

So what is Wild Yeast? It is a form of yeast that is always present, like the mitichlorians of the force in Star Wars. It is in the air, in flours and covers the surfaces of many vegetables and fruits. Commercial Active Dry and Instant Yeasts have largely replaced it as purchasable Yeast products. But these will not produce that Sour Dough flavor.

In truth, one does not have to purchase a Sour Dough Yeast as it is already everywhere. But the thing that must be done is to create a Sour Dough Starter, a batch of watery flour that is allowed to sit at a cool temperature for several days and allow the natural Wild Yeast to replicate and ferment the mixture.

So what is a Sour Dough Starter? It is an open container of watery flour mixture that is allowed to sit and ferment by the naturally occurring Wild Yeast. It should be kept at a cool temperature as Wild Yeast will not survive at elevated warm temperatures. After just two days, a Sour Dough Starter will begin to bubble as the fermentation process begins to give off gas. It may take up to a week or more to produce a good Sour Dough Starter which can then be mixed into a Bread Dough. It may be wise to turn or stir the Starter periodically while it is fermenting. Once mixed into a Bread Dough, it should be treated like Active Dry Yeast and be allowed to sit for a time to begin leavening the Bread Dough.

There are several terms or names for Sour Dough Starter and these include Starter, Starter Sponge, Mother, Mother Sponge, Levain, Biga, Chef and Poolish. These are all types of what is more technically known as preferments and they may vary from one to another in some details.

Last edited:
My big question about Sour Dough Starters is "Does it help or is it necessary to add a sugar to the Starter to feed the Wild Yeast and possibly enhance the final product?"

My big question about Sour Dough Starters is "Does it help or is it necessary to add a sugar to the Starter to feed the Wild Yeast and possibly enhance the final product?"

In short, no its not necessary. Just flour and water. Alhough, I have seen recipes which suggest adding a little sugar. SatNavSaysStraightOn is a bit of an expert.

I wouldn't advise anyone to experiment with sourdough until they are confident making 'regular' bread. The dough is wet and tricky to handle if you want to achieve the traditional sourdough with holes texture.

In short, no its not necessary. Just flour and water. Alhough, I have seen recipes which suggest adding a little sugar. SatNavSaysStraightOn is a bit of an expert.

I wouldn't advise anyone to experiment with sourdough until they are confident making 'regular' bread. The dough is wet and tricky to handle if you want to achieve the traditional sourdough with holes texture.

Well, you should know me well enough by now. I'm just as likely to bungle in to anything first time without prior experience as a lead up. But in this case, my first bread, the Robagusti Bread is behind me and I am looking to do a Dark Rye next. I just need to finish off some store bought Bread before proceeding as I don't want to have all that bread around at one time.

BTW: I've made pancakes before from store bought mixes, but the Banana Pistachio Pancakes I just made are a first time from scratch effort and they turned out great. I just had to do my research before hand to get it into my head how to go about doing a proper pancake and how to fit in the Pistachio Flour and Bananas.

Yesterday I learned what manicotti is - sounds oddly like a sea creature. What is that thing I'm thing of? Its now driving me mad as I can't Google to find out, as I only know that the name has some similarity to manicotti.

Back
Top Bottom