What do you call a hot toddy?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
6:43 AM
Growing up, when we had a chest cold or bronchitis (now called a URI or Upper Respiratory Infection), my Mom or Dad would make a concoction of hot water, whiskey and lemon with honey. It always helped me sleep, and seemed to alleviate the chest congestion, as well.

Nowadays, I keep forgetting to pick up some whiskey, so I make hot tea with honey and lemon, and I've begun adding some freshly grated ginger, when I have that on hand. Occasionally, I'll add in a little rum or vodka, and either way, it seems to help, especially with the chest congestion.

Do you make hot medicinal drinks, and if so, what do you put in them?

I remember hot toddies! My parents also prepared them when I was sick as a child just as you describe. I seem to remember them adding a pat of butter as well. Of course now Child Services would show up at the door if one were to give a child whiskey so tea is a much safer option.

A "Hot One". From http://atriptoireland.com/2011/11/07/making-the-perfect-hot-whiskey/
First ingredient, and possibly the least important, is the whiskey (never whisky — don’t waste good Scotch by watering it down. Enjoy it neat.). Generally, use the cheapest whiskey you can find. Living in the US, I usually use cheap Canadian rubbish that I’d never drink neat. If you make a hot whiskey with expensive, smooth sipping whiskey, not only are you wasting your money, but the resulting drink usually has much less of a whiskey taste. The smoothness of aged Scotch or Bushmills is intended for a neat nip or a pair of ice cubes, and needs nothing more. When in Ireland I use Powers or Paddy, and save the Jameson for drinking over ice.

The Glass
Start with the glass. You can use a svelte, small pub glass if you don’t want more than a single measure. This is the standard glass in Irish pubs. I prefer a half-pint glass tankard (a simple cylinder with a handle) for the simple reason that I’ve had too many thin glasses shatter after adding the boiling water. However, this size is perfect for a double shot of whiskey, and means you need to leave the conversation to refill everyone’s glasses less often. (You can also use a highball, although drinkers will probably need to wrap it with a napkin because of the heat.)

Fill the glass with boiling or near-boiling water to warm it. Empty it out after a minute. This helps the hot whiskey stay warmer longer. Wet the top eighth of an inch of the tankard and dip it in white sugar to encrust the rim. Now, pour a measure or two (Ah! go on now…) of whiskey into the glass.

Sweetener
Add a spoonful of sugar (brown adds a distinctive and slightly different taste compared to white, but the choice is yours). A thick spoonful of honey is great if you’re legitimately fighting a cold/sore throat and not just pretending to.

Lemon

Wash an organic lemon well in warm water to get the wax coating off (don’t be messing with a regular lemon — do you want to drink the chemicals they spray on them?) and cut it in half. Cut a thick slice from what was the middle. Now, cut that slice in half and remove any pips. If you’ve already added a single measure of whiskey, just squeeze the other half of your slice into the glass. If a double, squeeze some of the remaining end of the lemon into it as well. The whole half a lemon would be a bit much, but it’s all dependent on your own taste.

Take four cloves and stud the half-slice of lemon with them. Push them in fully so they won’t float out.

Fill the glass almost to the brim with boiling water. Stir to dissolve the sugar. (For years I left the metal spoon in the glass, in the belief that it would absorb the heat and prevent the glass shattering, but an engineer friend recently explained that this has no effect on the fate of a too-thin glass.) Now drop the clove-studded lemon in — taking care not to splash and lose any;-) — and away you go.

Variations
Add a cinnamon stick to give a slightly different flavor to the drink. Don’t add ground cinnamon, the taste of that tends to be gone before you’re halfway through your drink and it doesn’t dissolve, it adheres to bits of the lemon instead, so you end up with this nasty looking brown sludge swirling through your drink!

One or two of these on a cold night will take all your cares away, and lubricate good conversation.

Sláinte!

Similar "rules" to those above followed, aside from the organic lemon part.

I had 3 yesterday, minus the booze, and feel slightly better today. That was my 2nd or 3rd day of them, and I'll continue today. For the tea part, I use black decaf, since I have issues with caffeine, and I've tried it with green, but it just doesn't have the robust quality I need in my toddies.

@Berties Haha, I love the hot poker!

I have a tiny grater I use for the fresh ginger, and the pulp sticks in it, so I dunk it in the drink, and the hot water pulls a lot of that off.

@Dianemwj Ahh yes, CPS would no doubt show up at any mention of whiskey. I guess they're unaware that many babies were soothed to sleep with a drop or two in their bottles.

@classic33 Yes, definitely cheap whiskey works well for them. I have to remember to pick some up, it might speed up my healing.

@Diane Lane, if Paddys or Bushmills are cheap whiskey, then cheap whiskey was used.
It was whatever was in the house, or the pub at the time it was needed.

Title "What do you call a hot toddy?"
I call it a hot toddy.
and if so, what do you put in them?
Lemon juice, honey, water, whisky.
Proportions are done to suit condition and how much sleep is needed that night. We have 2 sizes, normal and pint. You don't drive the next day if you have the pint glass sized hot toddy.
What whisky/whiskey is used depends on what bottle is currently open and it is always a single malt that is open.

Title "What do you call a hot toddy?"
I call it a hot toddy.

Lemon juice, honey, water, whisky.
Proportions are done to suit condition and how much sleep is needed that night. We have 2 sizes, normal and pint. You don't drive the next day if you have the pint glass sized hot toddy.
What whisky/whiskey is used depends on what bottle is currently open and it is always a single malt that is open.

A pint ?:eek: And do you really put single malt in a toddy? Much as I love single malt...

I haven't had any fresh lemons in the house, so I've been using bottled lemon juice, which works fine, but fresh lemon is definitely better, and I love the addition of the fresh ginger. Haha, I probably couldn't drive for a week if I had a pint, it's been way too long since I've had more than a sip or two of liquor.

Living in the US, I usually use cheap Canadian rubbish that I’d never drink neat.
Oi!! Any cheap canadian rubbish found in the US is probably because the majority of residents there would not know the difference between good or bad whiskey/rye. Maybe the good stuff is kept north of the border for those more discerning?!!!

Back
Top Bottom