What Do You Do For Your Dry/Cracked Hands?

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
1:06 AM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Cooking as much as I do and with repeated hand/dish washing, my hands are so dry that the skin is now starting to cracked open and bleed.
This on coming cold weather and forced heat from the furnace makes the situation worse!
The sides of my finger nails are mostly all cracked open and are very sore and sensitive.
I've battled this for 14 years now, when we moved away from that lovely tropical climate of Hawaii.
I've tried so many different over the counter preparations, home remedies, formulas from old wife's tales, you name it.

Most recently, I picked up a small tube of O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. I actually bought it at the
Tractor Supply Store. I had heard some of the Ranchers around these parts talking about this stuff and figured,
well if they use it, it can't that bad, right?

We'll see.

What do you do for your dry/cracked hands?

When I worked at Restoration Hardware many years ago, (extra money during the holidays), this stuff sold like crazy. It was originally developed to keep horse hooves from drying and cracking. We sold a ton of it.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 8.01.59 PM.jpg

CD

Cooking as much as I do and with repeated hand/dish washing, my hands are so dry that the skin is now starting to cracked open and bleed.
This on coming cold weather and forced heat from the furnace makes the situation worse!
The sides of my finger nails are mostly all cracked open and are very sore and sensitive.
I've battled this for 14 years now, when we moved away from that lovely tropical climate of Hawaii.
I've tried so many different over the counter preparations, home remedies, formulas from old wife's tales, you name it.

Most recently, I picked up a small tube of O'Keeffe's Working Hands hand cream. I actually bought it at the
Tractor Supply Store. I had heard some of the Ranchers around these parts talking about this stuff and figured,
well if they use it, it can't that bad, right?

We'll see.

What do you do for your dry/cracked hands?

I have to say that I have always had an appreciation for the softness of women's hands and forearms.

The ranch products for livestock are not entirely unfounded. When I played classical guitar, it was important to keep the fingernails tough and prevent them from splitting. I used a ranch product called 'hoof hardener' for this purpose which for many classical guitarists is stowed with their strings and picks, ready for use when necessary.

I have to say that I have always had an appreciation for the softness of women's hands and forearms.

The ranch products for livestock are not entirely unfounded. When I played classical guitar, it was important to keep the fingernails tough and prevent them from splitting. I used a ranch product called 'hoof hardener' for this purpose which for many classical guitarists is stowed with their strings and picks, ready for use when necessary.

That sure ain't me! :scratchhead: Although, DH does like my upper arm. He says it's very soft and loves to just hold my arm ... not so much my hands :laugh:

Two products I grew up with were Bag Balm and Corn Husker lotion. Most of the time nowadays, though, I use Eucerin lotion.

My big problem in the winter is chapped lips, and I use Carmex or Burt's Bee's.

CD

I have a very delicate dry skin in general, I tend to wear plastic gloves for dish-wash and when have to clean bathroom, etc. However this is not always possible (I sometimes forget to wear them), I use this Deadsea salt hand cream and sometimes I balanced with almond oil also for body.

Last edited:
I've always used lotion on my hands and the rest of my skin. My hands are soft. It's my feet I have issues with. If they get too dry, I put Vaseline and socks on them at bedtime.

I've always used lotion on my hands and the rest of my skin. My hands are soft. It's my feet I have issues with. If they get too dry, I put Vaseline and socks on them at bedtime.
JAS_OH1 both our dermatologist and podiatrist recommended O'Keeffe's Healthy Feet to us years ago, and that works way better than the Vaseline here in uber dry Arizona USA. Let me tell ya buddy, it works great! And if you could have seen my DH's heals before we started using this product, you'd be amazed!

I remember those palmolive dish soap commercials touting a formula for soft hands. I think they wanted to lure women to wash dishes to soften their hands, back in a time when women drove vacuum cleaners, made the coffee and meals, and did the laundry. It was a time when hubby came home from work and immediately glued a beer to the same hand that already had a cigarette glued to it, sat down in a cozy chair, flicking ashes on the carpet for her to vacuum up, and clicked the remote to turn on the evening sports game, while yelling to the wife to get those damn kids to behave and shut up.

I remember those palmolive dish soap commercials touting a formula for soft hands. I think they wanted to lure women to wash dishes to soften their hands, back in a time when women drove vacuum cleaners, made the coffee and meals, and did the laundry. It was a time when hubby came home from work and immediately glued a beer to the same hand that already had a cigarette glued to it, sat down in a cozy chair, flicking ashes on the carpet for her to vacuum up, and clicked the remote to turn on the evening sports game, while yelling to the wife to get those damn kids to behave and shut up.
Funny, that's the brand of dish soap I'm using presently ... hmm... didn't work out so well.

Back
Top Bottom