What do you do with leftover gravy?

In the fridge I would not keep it more than 72 hours and that's if you cool it within a hour and a half
Freezing it in ice cube trays is a good idea and you can reduce the stock first
OK. This got me thinking about Knorr Stock Pots. I don't expect you use them but for beef stock they are brilliant (its not as if I can really make beef stock very often at home). How come they keep so long? There are no preservatives listed in the ingredients unless you count glucose. It says they keep up to 3 days in the fridge once opened. But they keep for months otherwise.
Ingredients:
Concentrated Beef Stock (Water, Beef Extract) (39%), Glucose Syrup, Salt, Beef Fat (5%), Flavourings, Yeast Extract, Carrots (1.8%), Potassium Chloride, Palm Oil, Caramel Syrup, Gelling Agents (Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum), Sugar, Leek, Parsley, Maltodextrin, Lovage Root

When I make any gravey or sauce I use a stock ,even cream sauces start with a reduced stock
Every week I make a veal stock at work wth calves feet 48 hours the first boil and 24 the next boil and also a small amount of chicken and fish they all have a 72 hour window of life but reducing some the stocks to a glacé I can freeze them for another time or for the start of the week veg stock I have succumbed to using a paste ,understanding how to make stock and visit its critical control points is very important
What we do at home may be different but I have a eho to talk to if I have a food poisoning allegation at work

I freeze my leftover grazy as well in a zip lock bag or air tight container. Keeps for at least a month. Then when I need some gravy, my son loves steak and eggs with gravy over everything I've just got to thaw out the gravy and heat it up.

I'll freeze leftover gravy and use it to enhance my gravy when I make shepherd's pie. It adds so much beef flavour. My kids love gravy, they especially love gravy on their french fries, so when ever we have leftover gravy I'll make french fries the next day for them using my T-Fal actifry. It makes the best fries. They are so healthy too, you only use a tablespoon of oil. The fries are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.

There are a number of things you could do with the gravy. You could mix it with some frozen vegetables and perhaps any scraps of meat leftover from the previous meal, and make some mini pot pies with a bit of store bought pastry dough over the top of some ramekins. I will also sometimes shred up some lunch meat and mix it with leftover gravy, then serve over some thick bread or toast as an open face sandwich. Works great with chicken + chicken gravy or beef + beef gravy. You could also serve gravy over french fries with some cheese curd - aka "poutine" or something like that, I believe it's popular in Canada.

Just recently I also saw a recipe for Chicken Katsu, which is a breaded and fried chicken breast served with a curry gravy over rice. I'm sure you could probably easily turn that gravy into a Katsu sauce with a few extra spices and ingredients. From what I saw, they were adding things such as mild curry powder, some garam masala, and some bay leaves, along with some soy sauce and a few other ingredients.

There are many ways to use leftover gravy. I like open faced sandwiches as well, like Ohio said.

When I have a bit of roast and gravy left, I cut up the meat into bite sized pieces and put them in the gravy. I serve this over rice. You can add a bit of onion, peppers, mushrooms, etc. if desired. Works great for stew too.

Gravy has a lot of uses I usually put it on my other meats that I cook in the morning otherwise I save it for soup, for flavoring and sometimes I add some in my mixed vegetables to give it a little kick.

Gravy has a lot of uses I usually put it on my other meats that I cook in the morning otherwise I save it for soup, for flavoring and sometimes I add some in my mixed vegetables to give it a little kick.

Yes, this is another good idea. Using gravy as a soup starter guarantees a nice, rich, soup.

I haven't tried gravy over vegetables. I bet that would be one way to get my husband to eat them!

Back
Top Bottom