What Do You Like to Do These Days for Your Birthday?

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
10:25 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Mine is not until early December, but I'm trying to think of something fun to do. It's the big 66 - and I actually did nothing of import for the last few of them. (The last one I actually did something special for was to go to Momofuku in New York City for a fantastic dinner with four friends when I turned 60.) For some reason, the landmark of 65 years I ignored, and when I turned 64, I was too focused on getting this house its final inspections, and prepping for the knee surgery. Although my brother came in around then, and took me to dinner for sushi around that time.

Not looking to do anything like that - I'll save a potential next big thing for when I turn 70 - but right now I'm thinking of a pleasant and inexpensive lunch out with a friend somewhere. I note that the community center is serving Pasta Carbonara as the dinner that night - no WAY do I want to have THEIR Pasta anything on my birthday. (The only good other-cultural cooking they do there is their corned beef and cabbage.)

So.... what do you like to do these days for the occasion? Do you do special things on special years (turning 21, 40, 50, etc?)

For birthdays and anniversaries, we just go out for a very nice supper, one of those places that takes three hours and half of a paycheck to visit. :D

We don't make a big deal of birthdays themselves apart from having a nice meal: home cooked, takeaway or in a restaurant - it varies depending on how flush we're feeling. We don't buy each other gifts, but instead we try to have a day out together somewhere as a treat - doesn't have to be on the birthday itself, so long as its around that time. This year has actually been a pretty good one for birthdays: we were on holiday on my birthday so we had a sightseeing day and visited Wieliczka salt mine. For hubby's birthday we had a weekend up in London and went to a concert.

Tradition was a nice dinner at an upscale restaurant where as Tasty says "took at least 3 1/2 hours of pay check". Years roll by and after one too many bad service/bad food experiences for the $ paid.. we do whatever strikes us. Last year my husband's choice was Lee's Fried Chicken carry out 🤣.

I try to pretend it isn't happening. :unsure:

I used to host an event called "Meatfest." Just me, and about a dozen friends using all my grills and smokers to cook (and eat) all kinds of meat. Oh, and there was a lot of beer. Half of them have moved away, and others are trying to keep up with teenaged sons and daughters.

CD

We usually go out for dinner too, for my husband to sushi and seafood restaurants and for me mostly to Bistro style and Italian restaurants.
I like it to be well done, honest food but nothing very fancy. Might be a chefs quirk but I see fancy food all the time and prefer honest home style food.

Aside from the dinner for two I usually host a party at home with a homestyle buffet. I always make a cake or two and buffet style bites like pizza rolls, chicken strips, salads, dips, cheese and bread.

The friend I contacted suggested an indian buffet neither of us have tried, near her home. It has gotten good reports.

Indian food would hit the spot for me too. It will be interesting to hear about it if you go there. Its my birthday soon too. Seafood lunch and and Indian dinner would be good!

Back
Top Bottom