What do you think about the new information on NOT washing raw chicken before cooking?

The chicken saga rolls on in the UK and I'm sure in the rest of the world, I had been listening to a report that 80 percent of fresh UK birds are infected by camp bac,that's to high and some of the supermarkets are named and shamed ,none were very good,and then I read this report below today,please read it is quite interesting
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-poisoning-killing-majority-harmful-bugs.html

The chicken saga rolls on in the UK and I'm sure in the rest of the world, I had been listening to a report that 80 percent of fresh UK birds are infected by camp bac,that's to high and some of the supermarkets are named and shamed ,none were very good,and then I read this report below today,please read it is quite interesting
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-poisoning-killing-majority-harmful-bugs.html
Ironic really. People pay more for a fresh chicken (because its fresh) and are now being told to freeze it!:scratchhead:It would be interesting to know how many cases of food poisoning by this bacteria are caused by under-cooking and how many by cross-contamination from surfaces, sinks, hands etc. Can't find any stats about that...

Whatever the article says, no one can stop us in washing the raw chicken. We have a plastic basin that holds the raw chicken. We clean by putting the basin under running water. So the water runs while we clean the raw chicken giving us assurance that germs or dirt are washed off by the running water.

I was thinking about this 'tradition' of washing chicken in some cultures. Its never remotely occurred to me to do that. Do people who wash chickens also wash other birds (such as duck, pigeon, pheasant) and do they also wash meat? And if not, why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually do not wash my chicken, but I don't see the problem with washing it. I guess I just never saw the point. You're going to cook it, and that kills all bacteria, so why wash it? All washing does in my opinion is make me have to disinfect something else.

I was thinking about this 'tradition' of washing chicken in some cultures. Its never remotely occurred to me to do that. Do people who wash chickens also wash other birds (such as duck, pigeon, pheasant) and do they also wash meat? And if not, why not?
Family, both sides, are farmers on the whole. Some made the move into actually selling the meat. And I'm not aware of one who wouldn't wash any bird they were cooking.
A few years ago, there appeared on the market a solution that could be bought for you to use when washing the inside out. It slowly disappeared from the shelves.

Old habits die hard, so it'll be a while before I stop washing them.

Back
Top Bottom