What do you think of when I say "Australian food"?

Sarah676

Veteran
Local time
1:10 AM
I'm originally from Australia and I'm just curious to know what non-Australians think of as "Australian food".

Hmm, no, I have not any idea of an Australian cuisine dish coming to my money.

A friend of mine relocated to the Gold Coast several year ago, and I lost contact with him because of his job, but the only I heard from him was about seafood he was tasting those early days when he arrived, but nothing else.

Could you let us know more about some Australian dishes?

Perhaps we have heard of them or already tasted them, but ignoring their country of origin :)

ummm.... Victoria Bitter? :D
I guess kangaroo meat could be one, though I don't think it's that widely used in Australia.

I've tried some kangaroo steak, so you can't get more Australian than that! There was an Aboriginal restaurant in Sydney that served bush tucker like witchetty grubs and even some kind of lizard meat! That's the real deal if you asked me, but I've never dared try them. The kangaroo was alright though,i was done very well, very tender and a little bit red, it tastes like something between beef and venison.

It's really interesting to read everybody's replies! I figured a lot of people would say "Vegemite", which I always thought was the quintessential Australian foods (most foreign people who try it don't really like it though!). As for kangaroo meat: No, it's not a very commonly-eaten food. You can buy it from most butchers but most people just stick to lamb or beef. Besides Vegemite, another quintessential Australian food that comes to mind is the Lamington: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamington, which is a type of sponge cake coated in chocolate icing and coconut, often filled with jam and cream. We also have a lot of really nice seafood, as others have said.

And yes, as a country we do drink a lot. :wink:

Violet crumbles, Timtams, Big M's, Lifesavers to name a few. Having lived there as a kid my recollections are somewhat sweet orientated.

I also love yabbies and barramundi. Barramundi fish fillets with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon is amazing! Yabbies are pretty versatile, you can make salads from chilled boiled yabbies or even make a seafood tomyam!

There's an Australian bakery 15 minutes from my home. They have your typical sandwiches and pastries, but they specialize in savory meat pies. So now when I think Australian food, I think savory meat pies.

I also remember the interesting uses for Vegemite that Australians have! I remember my neighbor telling me that she would mix some Vegemite with hot water to make a warm, salty soup to drink when it was cold.

I'm a kiwi and have been lucky enough to visit Australia half a dozen times. Definitely Vegemite (although of course I prefer Marmite ha ha), seafood, steak ... actually any type of meat you can bbq, Greek and Italian food, meat pies, Pavlova, ice cream and gelato. You also have quite a bit of Lebanese and Turkish food on offer e.g kebabs. :)

Back
Top Bottom