What does your favorite pan look like?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
2:31 PM
I've raved on this forum about my little 10" frying pan that I use every day to make my fried/poached/scrambled egg for breakfast. I couldn't do without that, as I recently found out when I decided to replace it.

However, this (type of) frying pan (pic attached, generic, not an actual picture of my pan, since I'm upstairs and the kitchen's downstairs) is also a favorite, but for different reasons. I have had my frying pan since the 1990s, and although it's no longer nearly as pretty as it once was, and I've purchased others since, this is the one I always go back to.

The pan is heavy, with a very thick bottom and enamel coating. It cooks the food evenly, and comes with its own cover, which is always a plus in my opinion. But, the thing I most appreciate is the extra handle on the other end of the pan. It's just a short gripper handle, but it's perfect for my needs. Not only does it facilitate moving the pan around, since it helps me distribute the weight between my two hands, but it also enables me to perch the pan across my sink, for soaking. The opposite handle on my actual pan is flatter and more substantial than the one in the picture, so it rests on the sink edge securely, and I don't have to worry about it getting knocked out of place and the soapy water sloshing all over the place.

What does your favorite pan look like, and what makes it work for you?
two handled pan.png

My favourite pan is similar to this but a Scandinavian make.

It is a cross between a frying pan and a casserole dish with a lid. It is excellent for making soups in where you have the 'fry' this off, add this, fry again, now add 1L stock because it easily holds it all and is excellent for stews, casseroles, Indians, risottos, etc and has enough space to allow me to add dumplings as well. Plus it is oven proof. It is so versatile that it is pretty much my main pan for everything.

It has a nice heavy bottom as well.... I keep it will seasoned and have banned my OH and the cleaner from washing it. (its not this one which had the red spot and lacks the heavy bottom, but that was the closest I could find).

Professional-30cm-Shallow.jpg

The pan is heavy, with a very thick bottom and enamel coating. It cooks the food evenly, and comes with its own cover, which is always a plus in my opinion. But, the thing I most appreciate is the extra handle on the other end of the pan. It's just a short gripper handle, but it's perfect for my needs.

I must say I like the looks of this pan. I especially like the little gripper handle on the other end of the pan. I also have a frying pan which is quite heavy to lift, so a gripper handle like this would really be great for such a pan.

I would not say that I have a favourite pan or pot, since each pan or pot I use has its own special purpose. However, there is one particular pot that is used more often than any of the other pots when it comes to cooking my meals. It is used almost every day. It is a medium-sized Saladmaster pot and is used for cooking rice, potatoes, pasta - you name it. The size of the pot is just right for cooking these ingredients. The photo below shows what this pot looks like. It is not my pot in the photo though.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8g8N75r3i4wBFZqMN2ucgl4_GFpXBG5weic8Bxdg9yZKPYswb1g.jpg

A bit similar to the one mentioned by @SatNavSaysStraightOn, but mine has a long handle. Its known in the UK as a 'Chef's Pan'. It can go in the oven as well as sit on the hob. Its super non-stick and cooks just about everything you can think of! Its base is about as big as a large frying pan - but, as the sides flare out it can hold a lot of food! Certainly enough for five or six people if necessary. I use it almost every day. I make curries, stews, soups, one pot meals of all kinds in it. Often its the only pan I use.

5147_4.jpg

Those all look like nice, substantial pots/pans. One thing I don't currently have is something @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @morning glory both mentioned. I am hoping to purchase one in the future, a heavy duty pan like those pictured, that can withstand high oven temperatures, as well. I like the idea of starting off on the stove top and then being able to transition the dish to the oven, without having to switch pans. I've looked around, but it seems many of the ones I've looked at cannot withstand the higher oven temperatures, but if I'm going to invest in another pan/pot, it's going to be one that's versatile enough to do so.

I have debated on getting a deep pan like @morning glory got. That chef's pan is really nice. But I have pots that aren't retiring so I don't have room for a substantial pan.

I have pans in three sizes, and this 10" t-fal frying pan is my go to. I cook fish, omelette, and vegetables with it. It is definitely the most unimpressive and plainest in this thread (haha).
r-p-excite-stainless-steel-LONG-DESC.jpg

Those all look like nice, substantial pots/pans. One thing I don't currently have is something @SatNavSaysStraightOn and @morning glory both mentioned. I am hoping to purchase one in the future, a heavy duty pan like those pictured, that can withstand high oven temperatures, as well. I like the idea of starting off on the stove top and then being able to transition the dish to the oven, without having to switch pans. I've looked around, but it seems many of the ones I've looked at cannot withstand the higher oven temperatures, but if I'm going to invest in another pan/pot, it's going to be one that's versatile enough to do so.
Its worth the investment. I really do use it a lot.

I once moved house 4 times in a year, the stuff I took with me got fewer and fewer until eventually the only thing I brought to my last house was this
Oval-Casserole-Volcanic.jpg

My favorite pan is a cast iron skillet. I cook everything in it. I love that I can transfer it to the oven if needed, and it's easy to clean and cooks evenly. I had always wanted one and my husband was nice enough to get me one for christmas. I haven't used another pan since.

Back
Top Bottom